User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User johnny777
(member) Thu 26-Jun-14 13:25:47
Print Post

Ticket 87637700 - I'm fuming!

[link to this post]

So I am coming to the end of an 18 month contract.....currently paying £19.99 for fibre 80/20 (plus phone). My download is only 34mb, so I only need 40/20 and with that product now being unlimited and £14.99 I have enquired what Plus Net can give me for switching products.

The response - I can change if I take out a new 18 month contract plus £5.99 for a new router.

Why the hell would I want a new router (especially as I am using an Asus RT-N66U)?!

If Plus Net don't want to retain customers, I'll be requesting a MAC code. Why should I be tied to another 18 months? Madness.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Jun-14 14:24:41
Print Post

Re: Ticket 87637700 - I'm fuming!

[re: johnny777] [link to this post]

I think that's just how it is I'm afraid. Mobile phone contracts are no different; when you switch on those, you are locked into another 1 year (or what ever; certainly was the case when I was with EE).

What is shady here is that you moving from 80/20 to 40/20 means Plusnet do not need to submit any new order for your connection to Openreach to adjust your connection, thus, the Openreach ordering system will not lock Plusnet into another 12 month minimum contract for the FTTC product to be provisioned on your line. Thus, Plusnet are simply enforcing another 18 month contract on you for the sake it; there is no underlying reason why they need to do this.

So yeah, your call. Jump ship now or stay, the choice is yours.

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (BQMv4) | IPv6 via HE (BQMv6) | 60/20Mb FTTC
Previous ISPs: <aaisp.net> | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited | Zen
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Jun-14 14:52:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by johnny777:
The response - I can change if I take out a new 18 month contract plus £5.99 for a new router.

I'm sure the new router bit is a mistake. The 18-month contract is harsh in the circumstances but seems to be the norm.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Jun-14 17:24:12
Print Post

Was that response from the Customer Options Team or from Customer Service?

It's possible you may get a better deal from the COT if the response wasn't from them ...... well it used to be not so long ago tongue

plusnet user
Standard User beardedwonder
(regular) Thu 26-Jun-14 17:31:15
Print Post

If I were you I'd ask to go through to the cancellation/retentions department and ask them to give you a deal. At least then you may get a discount over the course of the 18 month contract.

The router cost is the P&P for it so i'm sure you could tell them you don't need it.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Jun-14 18:17:58
Print Post

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

I got a good deal over 24 months instead of 18 months save me money over 2 years with fibre / phone. I can't complaint about it. Why the fuss over 18 months contract as you could be getting a good deal with speaking to cancellation/retentions department.

Edited by adslmax (Thu 26-Jun-14 18:18:46)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Jun-14 21:24:11
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
I'm sure the new router bit is a mistake. The 18-month contract is harsh in the circumstances but seems to be the norm.
You've never had to take the Plusnet router, either as a new customer or on a product change. It is always offered, which is fair enough, (for instance I took the 582n when moving from 40/2 to 80/20 as the previous Netgear? was no use for wireless), so maybe some of the support people need telling that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to