User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jamesgooner
(experienced) Tue 01-Jul-14 22:17:50
Print Post

Unlimited Fibre Extra

[link to this post]

Evening all
I am thinking of leaving Virgin as my 18 month contract has just finished in June & want to save some money, i was on there 100Mbs service which was great, but i never hardly use it now as i'm at work a lot so use there internet. i have a few questions please.

1 Is Plus Nets service reliable & stable as Virgins was rock solid.

2 i'm In London is there anyway to find out if theirs congestion in my exchange.

3 can i get away with using the modem/router that Plusnet supply.

4 is it an unlimited service.

Thanks for any help advice in advance.

Edited by jamesgooner (Tue 01-Jul-14 22:24:39)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-Jul-14 22:44:34
Print Post

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra

[re: jamesgooner] [link to this post]

The first thing to check is what speeds you might get. I assume your phone is on VM Cable as well as the broadband.

If it is, then take the Address option from this page. Do not use the postcode option!

If it isn't, then use the phone number entry on the page, as that is the best checker.

It would be best if you just copy and paste the table of results and the line immediately above the table, editing out the phone number or address of course smile.

The FTTC service from any supplier could be less solid than a good VM cable connection, but far better than a poor VM one. Having said that, with a good connection speed with Plusnet you should be fine, barring line faults that would involve Openreach. (With any FTTC ISP).

Plusnet phone support for normal user questions is fine. For hairy stuff the Community Forum or here is better - the same (excellent) Digital Care reps are on both, with the Community one taking priority of course.

On FTTC exchange congestion is highly unlikely. BT Wholesale capacity has been hugely increased throughout the network. On a few London exchanges there can be limited availability of FTTC due to high demand. The exchange given by checker I gave will be useful information.

For wired use the (optional) Plusnet router is fine, though it is an entry-level one wrt GUI facilities. The wireless can be a bit weak, depending on the building type and location wrt the user kit.

Yes, completely unlimited. No tricks or small print.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(experienced) Tue 01-Jul-14 22:54:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that do have cable & phone service, i tried that link here is what i got.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
on Exchange WALWORTH is served by Cabinet 52
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 79.6 59.9 20 19.6 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 70.3 41.3 20 13.9 -- Available

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Jul-14 23:09:48
Print Post

U better off with the cheaper product Unlimited Fibre 40/20 as it will save u money if u don't use internet much.
(experienced) Tue 01-Jul-14 23:11:45
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

is that unlimited as well.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Jul-14 23:13:11
Print Post

Yes Totally Unlimited! And a bonus u get upload 20Meg too.
(experienced) Tue 01-Jul-14 23:14:49
Print Post

thanks for that will have to look into price difference tomorrow & compare packages.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Jul-14 23:24:52
Print Post

U can ring up retention team to get discount if u are bring phone line over to plusnet with unlimited fibre 40/20.

My parents had signed up 2 years contract with a discount of £2.49 every months for 2 years. .

Edited by adslmax (Tue 01-Jul-14 23:26:04)

(experienced) Tue 01-Jul-14 23:27:47
Print Post

Thanks just checked prices its only about £5 a month more for Unlimited Fibre Extra i thin id rather pay the extra £5 for the faster service, where is the retention's number please.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Jul-14 23:30:14
Print Post

Of course that's up to u - your money. U will get £10.00 off for the first six months offer reduce your unlimited fibre extra from £19.99 to £9.99 only if u bring the phone line over to plusnet. The retention teams is on 08004320200.

As for me, I would choose fastest FTTC. smile

Here is mine: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3598373164

Edited by adslmax (Tue 01-Jul-14 23:35:10)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to