User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sjdean
(member) Sun 06-Jul-14 16:35:28
Print Post

BT White Modem for FTTC?

[link to this post]

So on a FTTC install, does BT Come and install one of their White OpenReach modems, and what happens if you have a pre NTE5 (ie solid plate) socket? Is that changed FoC by BT? I mean, they're resonsible for everything up to the master socket, so it should be their job to change it? Right?

Thanks
SImon

And my other question - if Im after a static IP, for firewalling purposes, can I get that static IP before my connection is transferred so that I can get everything programmed up ready?

CompuServe > PIPEX > Demon > BlueYonder > plusnet > Be*

Edited by sjdean (Sun 06-Jul-14 16:43:12)

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Jul-14 17:09:41
Print Post

Re: BT White Modem for FTTC?

[re: sjdean] [link to this post]

raise a service ticket or comment on the order asking for an engineer install, so someone will do this for you.

IanD
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Jul-14 17:46:10
Print Post

BTOR or its contractor will come and install a modem and sort out the socket, definitely no charge. I don't believe you can get a static IP address until you have an active Plusnet connection, but then it should happen very quickly after you order it in the Member Centre.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync 72152/19999 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Jul-14 18:24:28
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

It happens instantly when you order it in the Member Centre, in that you simply close the session and open again. I don't think you can pre-order it either, but don't really see why not.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Jul-14 18:26:24
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

So far Plusnet have always done engineer installs, and only offer a router not a modem/router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Terranova
(member) Sun 06-Jul-14 18:29:49
Print Post

As mentioned the engineer should fit the modem and replace the master socket with a current filtered MKII version, if your lucky as i was you may get a decent engineer that will do the above as well as test the line to and from the cab connect up the router make sure that was working and that your speed tests from the router are within range of the tests he was getting from the modem, but as i say that's from a decent engineer you can be lucky if they can be bothered to do the bare minimum or even turn up on the day at all.

as for the Static IP once your up and running you can order one from your members account for a one off fee of £5.

Edited by Terranova (Sun 06-Jul-14 18:31:31)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Jul-14 18:57:17
Print Post

[re: Terranova] [link to this post]

The Openreach job does not include anything to do with the user router, and the guy may not have time for goodwill gestures like that.

Some are geared to check the modem connection with their JDSU, but it seems some can only call for a remote test and get a texted OK reply.

If a contractor is sent rather than a real Openreach engineer, then prayer is the best option.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 06-Jul-14 18:58:13)

Standard User beardedwonder
(regular) Sun 06-Jul-14 21:28:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If a contractor is sent rather than a real Openreach engineer, then prayer is the best option.

As a fairly recent victim of a contractor I can second this, when it comes to the installation you really do want a real Openreach engineer.
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Sun 06-Jul-14 22:44:00
Print Post

My Infinity install was about 9 months ago, but don't think things have changed since then.

Engineer came, checked things over, went up the road to the cabinet and returned. Re-routed Master socket from Hall to a Bedroom/study about 20 metres away plus drilling a hole in the wall, plugged in modem and connected router and, as my PC was already on, did a connect and speed check.

Job done, all in under an hour.

Good luck...

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Jul-14 22:55:10
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

Bear in mind that at that time Infinity installs were "Managed installs", where the engineer was supposed to do all that. Few ISPs order them.

The data extension cable was ordered automatically by BT in case it is required. Some ISPs need(ed) the customer to specify they want(ed) it.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 06-Jul-14 22:55:50)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to