User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rob54
(committed) Sat 12-Jul-14 00:23:41
Print Post

New socket vdsl2

[link to this post]

Having just read another thread about a connection only working via the test socket here, it so happens, OpenReach today fitted me a complete new (what I know know to be a) vdsl2 faceplate replacing the ADSL Nation filtered faceplace I had.

Been having trouble with noise on the line (which stopped the day after I reported it to Plusnet on 1 July). In fact I reported it shortly after this thread (as advised by Plusnet's Adam Walker).

Openreach phoned me nearly a week later, during which time the speed dropped to less than a third of usual with just as frequent dropouts, to ask me if the line was OK now. Told them it became quiet again quickly after reporting, also was told was (or I assumed had been) a 'loop fault' (whatever that is). I said internet was poor (not interested). Two hours later a ticket reply from Plusnet said OR had not found no fault, but Plusnet's own testing found a fault and again asked OR to investigate.

Plusnet had me connecting direct to the test socket then no fault showed to them at that time, and concluded it was intermittent. When the OR guy came he said there was 'extra voltage' so fault was outside. He found a damp connection in the road somewhere, came back and said 'extra voltage' was no longer there. At that point he removed the old socket and fitted the vdsl2 one. Obviously the speed has not picked up yet much, but the connection has remained solid so far. I notice the noise margin (which had become about 26dB (from very low when synch was about 1700kbps), is creeping down and is presently 17.9.

Here's the detail so I hope the line will now be more reliable.

Uptime: 0 days, 11:32:14
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.027 / 3.072
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 132,63 / 944,02
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,8 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 29,3 / 48,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5,7 / 17,9
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 53 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 6 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 299 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 812 / 107
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 477 / 228

--------------------------------------------------------------
WIndows 7 SP1, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Norton Internet Security (came as trial with new PC),
Website & email hosting & domain name provider - www.tsohost.co.uk
  Print Thread

Jump to