User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User maximono
(learned) Tue 15-Jul-14 01:50:27
Print Post

Switching to Plusnet Fibre, The Journey

[link to this post]

It's been a long wait this year for fibre since I seen BT installing new cabling out the front of the house. I asked and they said fibre would be here in Feb, but it's only just become active on Sunday. Thankfully it did say from June online so I had some idea when it would be.

It's been a tough choice deciding over plusnet FTTC or BT infinity as I wanted a good provider with great service, few issues and a good price. BT was swinging it with the Home Hub 5 too as I wanted to upgrade to a new AC router to keep my iMac Wireless but at top speed. And top performance for my N Devices. I heard good things about the HH5 but then after doing my reading wasn't convinced and with Plusnet's recent price drop to 12.50 for 9months it was tempting me away. I was almost set on apple's airport extreme after reading a lot of good reviews even though after the last one that buzzed loads I swore I'd never get another apple router. Then I thought i'd give the Asus Routers some attention, I hadn't really payed much attention to them for networking but after reading about the AC68U wireless AC router it sounded mighty impressive and around the same price as apples router but with much better performance and spec I managed to pick the last one up from Currys today. It's nicer looking than I thought it would be too.

Fibre was also ordered with Plusnet today, phone has gone to them too saving money over BT, line rental Saver done, unlimited fibre extra at £12.50 for 9months and also did through topcashback and I should get £105 cashback which has tracked.

Speeds are estimated at 79-80Mbps and 19-20Mbps upload, the cabinet is probably less than 100meters down the road so Im looking forward to seeing my speeds.

Mac Key was requested from my ISP Coms (was changed to them when they bought out ADSL24) over the phone but I was told I had to email. Thankfully it was a quick reply back and order is progressing with plusnet with install date given as the 29th. I'll keep this thread up to date with any news regarding the install.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 15-Jul-14 12:12:03
Print Post

Re: Switching to Plusnet Fibre, The Journey

[re: maximono] [link to this post]

Good thinking re the router smile.

Which provider is your phone with at the moment?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User maximono
(learned) Tue 15-Jul-14 14:08:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

How so, do u have the Asus? It's with BT has been for years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 15-Jul-14 14:58:28
Print Post

I'm not with BT. I have an ASUS RT-N66U.

The phone question was to make sure there shouldn't be any problems transferring it. If it had been LLU with COMS it could have got messy. It should all go smoothly.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 15-Jul-14 15:03:14)

Standard User bkaz
(regular) Tue 15-Jul-14 16:56:27
Print Post

Interesting experience. I too have Plusnet as the top candidate when my contract expires mid August so would be very interested in the actual transfer and subsequent experience. Would be grateful if you would post an update as things progress. Must say don't care much for Plusnets radio ad!

My boss told me, career is a verb.
Standard User maximono
(learned) Wed 16-Jul-14 02:19:37
Print Post

[re: bkaz] [link to this post]

I'lll certainly keep the thread updated. I have my install date confirmed for PM on the 29th, Can anyone confirm with the data extension kit do they just run a cable from the master socket to the Fibre modem or do they install an extension box?
Having the master socket coming in on the window ledge of a landing window it's in a really stupid spot for fibre. The BT mast is directly in view of the window across the garden so it was no doubt done for ease. There's no power sockets near by so an extension will have to be run into my room and where the current router sits as I have a few ethernet devices plugged in that will only reach that far.

Edited by maximono (Wed 16-Jul-14 02:19:54)

ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Wed 16-Jul-14 13:27:07
Print Post

Hi, the data extension does involve a new data socket being fitted.

We can arrange this to be fitted within 30 metres of the master socket within your home.

drop me a reply if you need to confirm any other aspects of your order with you.

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-Jul-14 15:13:31
Print Post

Did you order the (free) data extension kit during the order process? It isn't standard, unlike BT Infinity.

Note that it an be run externally if that is better and the engineer agrees. Openreach vans carry the external cable as van stock. I doubt if the contractors do.

Standard User maximono
(learned) Thu 17-Jul-14 00:20:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yea I did order the data extension kit. Running it internally would be better anyway. All sounds good, hopefully it turns out ok.
Standard User maximono
(learned) Tue 29-Jul-14 22:10:19
Print Post

Had fibre installed today. Was done by a Kelleys engineer. Asked for the PM slot when signing up and he came at 2pm so timing was good. Seemed a bit confused about the data extension kit I said I ordered but that was soon sorted out as it seems they just know it as moving the box (lol). The placement of the new master socket was fine and he was happy to run the cabling round. Had a good chat while he did it all. For a master cable I think it could have been done slightly better the staples holding it in aren't great and the new master box doesn't fit together that well.

Got it all connected and found plusnet hadn't switched on my fibre. I rang them and was connected in about 5 minutes, I don't know if it was a fluke but all these complaints on the forum of 30mins to 3 hour wait times which worried me are less of a concern now. The call went quick, was switched on straight away and was up and running. First speed tests are coming in at around 65-70Mbps and 18.5Mbps upload so Im more than pleased. So far so good.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to