User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Billy_Hunt
(experienced) Thu 17-Jul-14 10:39:29
Print Post

Have I made the wrong choice signing up for Plusnet?

[link to this post]

I'm currently with SKY phone and Fibre, I've signed up to switch to Plusnet for both.

I had to pick three different days for an engineer visit in order of priority, which I thought was a good idea.
off the top of my head i picked
1st choice Friday Afternoon on the 8th August (most Fridays are Half day for me so perfect)
2nd choice Thursday 7th Aug
3rd Wednesday 6th Aug

I received a message the other day saying my telephone line would be switched on the 29th July but it wasn't my telephone number [Alarm Bells start ringing]

At first I didn't really pay much attention to the date at this stage I'm more concerned about the wrong number being listed.
So I raise a ticket at 11:05pm, on Tuesday 15 Jul 2014 it hasn't been replied to yet,
So today I try phoning, I can also also ask about a MAC key which on the back of a letter I received today says I need to provide but I haven't.
I pick the option to query my order and I get a recorded message saying my line isn't active and that the call queue time is currently over 15mins and then the call ends?

I really just feel like cancelling now, Sky aren't all that bad I just fancied something different I'm about to sign up to a 18 Month contract [Gulp!]

Edited by Billy_Hunt (Thu 17-Jul-14 10:41:03)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 17-Jul-14 10:43:33
Print Post

Re: Have I made the wrong choice signing up for Plusnet?

[re: Billy_Hunt] [link to this post]

Take the phone option for Sales, not Support.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Billy_Hunt
(experienced) Thu 17-Jul-14 10:49:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There isn't a sales option
The options are
1 gives your MAC Key
2 track your order
3 Customer service account changes and billing
4 something not working

I'll try a different number smile

[Edit] It's the same options on the sales number frown

Edited by Billy_Hunt (Thu 17-Jul-14 10:53:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jroadley
(learned) Thu 17-Jul-14 10:55:09
Print Post

Well not the best of starts - and from what I've read on here - once your over it doesn't get any better.

I'd stick with SKY if they are providing a good service.

Cheap doesn't always mean good.

Edited by jroadley (Thu 17-Jul-14 10:56:05)

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Jul-14 10:56:57
Print Post

Just checked and that is correct - you would probably need to use a non Plusnet line
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 17-Jul-14 11:00:08
Print Post

Maybe option 3?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Thu 17-Jul-14 16:04:27
Print Post

Hi Billy_Hunt,

We've already picked this up from your original post here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1293...

Apologies again, this should be fully turned around tomorrow.

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Billy_Hunt
(experienced) Sat 09-Aug-14 09:25:39
Print Post

Thought I'd post a follow up

When I switched from O2 ADSL to SKY FTTC I couldn't help but be a little disappointed despite speed test and pings being OK web pages were just a little slow to load, not as snappy, I tried different DNS servers but browsing was just never the same, though download speeds were obviously a lot better.
This is one of the reasons I stuck with the switch despite the above.

Now I'm on Plusnet web pages appear instantly like they did before smile
I don't know how or why but I'm happy.

Now for the not so good.
The support is truly shocking I really hope I don't have a problem in the future, it's that bad.
Fairplay to them for eventually giving me my requested install day, but that's after coming on here and the plusnet forum.
Thanks for your broadband order.

Before we can activate your service you'll need new equipment installing at your home.

We'll arrange for an engineer to carry out this work for you.

I asked if an engineer would be required to come to my home as I was currently on Fibre with Sky
You will require an engineer visit yes as your line is currently not on the BT network which is what we use here at Plusnet.

I even asked for clarification on this and asked what he would do as I was already on fibre and already had a BT openreach modem
Yes, an engineer will need to visit to make sure the service is up and running. It's likely they'll test that socket and replace it if necessary or use that for the installation if it's deemed as working fine.

On the day I get a message saying my phone line is now active, great now I just have to make sure somebody is in for the engineer, no easy thing as I got called out at short notice so I went to a lot of trouble making sure somebody was going to be in.
With the modem they sent it said do not switch on your modem until an engineer visits or you get a message telling you that your broadband is active.
I'm sure you can guess where I'm going with this yep not only did no engineer turn up I still haven't had a message to say my broadband is active.
If it wasn't for the help on the forum which still hasn't been replied to by a staff member I'd still be sat here waiting for a BT engineer or message to say my broadband is ready shocked

The tickets take far too long to get an answer and the phone support is well documented above.

I'm starting to look at Plusnet a bit like Giffgaff if you want support go to the community.
Which is fine if the community can help but what happens when it can't and an engineer is required I dread to think.
Standard User davidjfirman
(learned) Sat 09-Aug-14 18:49:55
Print Post

I'm moving to PN from Sky too (and am ex-O2 as well).

Out of curiosity, what modem were you supplied with? Do you have the BTO modem and another router or just the one "box"?

Sky unlimited BB - 6788 / 1117 (if it's working) but soon to be PlusNet FTTC.
[Dialup with Prestel @1200/75; AOL @ 9600; Line One, ClaraNET & C&W @ 56k; then ADSL/ADSL2 from PlusNet, BT, PostOffice and O2]
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Aug-14 18:55:45
Print Post

[re: davidjfirman] [link to this post]

Plusnet don't offer the one box solution so you have the BT modem and the Technicolor TG582n router
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to