User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 1stAde
(learned) Tue 22-Jul-14 12:20:11
Print Post

New to FTTC is this speed acceptable

[link to this post]

Moved house and moved to fibre with Plusnet. They have told me that my estimated download speed for my 80/20 service is 69Mb, but I am getting 49.

I believe that the 69Mb is estimated by the distance from the cabinet, so is the loss of 20Mb due to the cabling into the house and master socket? The installation of course included this installation of master socket, but the guy used existing cabling in the house mostly.

My understanding with FTTC, that the estimates are accurate and I should be getting that speed. Am I right or am I missing something?

Thanks?
Adrian.

Plusnet 12Mg
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Jul-14 12:43:31
Print Post

Re: New to FTTC is this speed acceptable

[re: 1stAde] [link to this post]

We need more information about the installation. The existing cabling in the house is normally irrelevant to a correct FTTC installation and does not get touched or used.

If the master socket is an NTE5 then a VDSL2 interstitial filter plate should be added, and the modem should be installed here. If the master is an older type socket it should be replaced (free) with one, then as just described.

There are exceptions, such as if you ordered the Data Extension Cable.

There is also the possibility you have star-wiring. An Openreach engineer should check and fix that, but contractors generally seem not to.

Was it an Openreach engineer or a contractor, such as Kelly's or Quinn's?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jul-14 12:45:10
Print Post

Estimates are estimates. No one has every published information on how accurate they are, since it varies wildly.

Given a postcode I can give you an estimate independent of BT data, but you can also do similar by measuring carefully how far to the cabinet and using the table http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband....

Also worth pointing out the estimates often refer to the connection speed, rather than a speed test result, so once overheads are taken into account you will always be a little lower (but not 20 Meg worth).

Also double checking that this is a test using Ethernet, since with wireless all bets are off.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Tue 22-Jul-14 14:12:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sometimes a new FTTC connection can have slower speeds than expected for the first day or two. However with such a difference being noted by yourself I feel it would benefit some attention from a faults point of view.

Mind dropping me a PM with your username or a ticket ID so I can make sure that happens?

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jul-14 14:21:31
Print Post

[re: thatadamwalker] [link to this post]

I'd disagree (unless its an ISP side IP Profile mirror catching up), the Openreach DLM system starts usually at best possible speeds and then adapts as it sees the errors.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 1stAde
(learned) Tue 22-Jul-14 16:24:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks all for replying. (I have PM'd Adam).

The installation was done by a contractor rather than an openreach engineer. (I can't recall what was on their van, but was something like Kellys or Quin).

The guy was several hours late and not sure if that impacted his day, but the old master socket was in the hallway, and unsuitable and so I asked if the new master socket with faceplate could be fitted in an adjacent room. There was existing phone cable to another socket in this other room, and so he "bypassed" the existing master socket and placed the new plate in the other room, next to suitable sockets etc.

He said he had problems with the phone line, but the broadband was OK. I couldn't test connection as I didn't have a router from PN at the time. I've now had this service and speed for a week, and it has been consistent at that speed.

Thanks for your help and input.

Adrian

Plusnet 12Mg
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jul-14 16:51:35
Print Post

With seeing details of the wiring it is possible that something has been done that is impacting on the speed.

If take apart what is now the 'master socket' to the point where the test socket is reached as per http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/ then no other telephone sockets connected to that phone number should work in the home. If that is the case then wiring is probably good, if another socket still works for a phone at that time then wiring is suspect.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Jul-14 19:09:50
Print Post

[re: thatadamwalker] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by thatadamwalker:
Sometimes a new FTTC connection can have slower speeds than expected for the first day or two. However with such a difference being noted by yourself I feel it would benefit some attention from a faults point of view.

Mind dropping me a PM with your username or a ticket ID so I can make sure that happens?

I disagree with this. Could be side of Plusnet incorrect profile at their side. The Plusnet IP Profile could be incorrect for some reason.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Jul-14 23:10:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thirded, it'll be running as fast as poss to start off with.

Standard User cookie
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Jul-14 09:21:38
Print Post

my estimate was 54/13 and i actually get 28/7

been investigated by plusnet and BT who both seemed quite helpful, but it's still 28/7.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to