User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sun 10-Aug-14 15:57:46
Print Post

Move BT to PlusNet, BT FON

[link to this post]

I'm thinking of moving from BT to PlusNet. This will save me quite a bit, though I will lose a few things I don't care about such as BT Cloud and BT Sport.
However, I do use BT Fon a little bit and would be slightly sad to lose it. A couple of questions ...
? Can I sign up with FON (not BT FON) as I would in a country with no special arrangement with one telco?
? If so, can I use the HomeHub 3 (which is a FON router). (I know lots of people hate the HomeHub3 but it is working fine for us.)

--
BT Infinity 2, thinking of moving to PlusNet
Standard User Rich_T
(member) Sun 10-Aug-14 18:21:50
Print Post

Re: Move BT to PlusNet, BT FON

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

From what i know you can sign up with fon independently of an ISP however you may need to buy a separate fon router as as far as i understand it, the fon functions of the bt H are part of the BT service.
Fon routers cost around £35 from the fon shop https://shop.fon.com/en/products/all
Any usage by fon will come out of any allowance you may/may not have with plusnet
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Aug-14 23:45:33
Print Post

[re: Rich_T] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rich_T:
Any usage by fon will come out of any allowance you may/may not have with plusnet
All currently offered Plusnet packages are unlimited.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User awontroba
(newbie) Mon 11-Aug-14 02:07:22
Print Post

[re: Rich_T] [link to this post]

Beware:
Some years ago I bought a Fon router. It was never delivered, and they never responded to my queries. You may be more fortunate.
I believe that traffic through your Fon router will be recorded against your IP address, which could be awkward if somebody does something illegal using it. You could have a hard time proving that it was not you.

Maybe, buy a Fon router, remove its aerial and stick it in a Faraday cage, so it cannot be accessed?

--
Adrian
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 11-Aug-14 07:30:21
Print Post

[re: awontroba] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by awontroba:
I believe that traffic through your Fon router will be recorded against your IP address
A quick FAQ check says you're wrong https://support.fon.com/entries/20187816-Can-people-...

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Aug-14 07:54:27
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I believe that traffic through your Fon router will be recorded against your IP address
A quick FAQ check says you're wrong https://support.fon.com/entries/20187816-Can-people-...

That FAQ is correct in terms of internal traffic as FON is separate SSID.

However on the WAN side, traditional FON routers share the same WAN IP - but BT FON use a tunnel so that the individual subscriber isn't associated with the FON users traffic.

Under UK law, where pubs etc have free WiFi but make you register, you can see why I'd go with a BT FON router. Outside the UK free open WiFi is so much easier :-/

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User awontroba
(newbie) Tue 12-Aug-14 04:06:17
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
However on the WAN side, traditional FON routers share the same WAN IP - but BT FON use a tunnel so that the individual subscriber isn't associated with the FON users traffic.

Under UK law, where pubs etc have free WiFi but make you register, you can see why I'd go with a BT FON router. Outside the UK free open WiFi is so much easier :-/

That is why I liked BT WiFi on my mobile and tablet, but this did not outweigh my dissatisfaction with BT Business Local and BT not selling Annex M to their customers, which is why I have migrated to PlusNet.

I did not realise that pubs etc have to make you register by law. I've been to a few places where the WiFi SID and password are up on a sign. Connect and you are away.

--
Adrian
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Aug-14 07:54:35
Print Post

[re: awontroba] [link to this post]

I did not realise that pubs etc have to make you register by law.

Sorry, they don't have to do this. Its a risk they take on the liability of other people using their internet connection. If someone does something illegal.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 12-Aug-14 08:07:05
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

When you buy one of our devices, all you have to do is add it to your existing network by plugging it into your router. It will then start splitting your WiFi signal into two. A private one that is just for you (MyPlace), and a public one (“FON_FREE_INTERNET”), which you share with the rest of the Fon network. Both networks are secure and since the public signal is created from the unused portion of your bandwidth, you will still be able to enjoy the same connection speeds as before. Additionally, you will not be held liable for the use of your public network.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 12-Aug-14 10:34:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I can see that being true when using the ISP offers a FON service to its customers, but find it extremely likely when using one that doesn't. The data passing on the FON service would not be paid for by anyone.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to