User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mcclaw
(member) Fri 15-Aug-14 23:26:25
Print Post

Plusnet FTTC IP profile

[link to this post]

Under Connection Settings > High-speed Broadband states Current line speed:
78 Mb
however my IP Profile is get at 65.83 I would have that thought if I am connected at 78 it should be 75 (97%) I have contacted plusnet and they just say me line is "Our suppliers would expect between 66.9Mb/s - 80Mb/s from this line. You can see this your self via the link below;
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/"

Phone exchange:
PORTSMOUTH NORTH
Estimated line speed:
66Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-07-31 17:47:30
Current line speed:
78 Mb

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ states IP Profile for your line is - 65.83 Mbps

--- --- ---

Plusnet 78/20
SDPNRTH exchange
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 15-Aug-14 23:57:49
Print Post

Re: Plusnet FTTC IP profile

[re: mcclaw] [link to this post]

Have you only just been connected?

The Plusnet Current Line speed is not the sync. It is normally the IP Profile reported by the BT Wholesale Performance Test, Further Diagnostics, rounded down to the 100kbps below. Assuming you have run that BT Test yourself, not just re-quoted the PN figure on the large quote, I would expect 65.8Mbps.

However if you have just connected it could be some hours before it shows that. It is set initially by Plusnet to 78Mbps so as not to mess you up while the auto systems kick in. It is supposed to be updated automatically to the rounded figure from the IP Profile a few times a day, though sometimes the update fails.

If it fails with the PN figure the higher you don't really need to worry unless you are an avid gamer. (You may get some packet loss requiring retransmission of the packet(s)). If it fails with the PN figure lower, gaming should be fine but your maximum speed will suffer.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 16-Aug-14 09:53:19)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Aug-14 00:24:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The Current Line Speed will adjusted updating itself. When my FTTC went live first day Plusnet set my current line speed at 78 Mb but next day it change down to 77.4 Mb to match BT IP Profile 77.42Mb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Aug-14 00:42:14
Print Post

Re: Plusnet FTTC IP profile *DELETED*

Post deleted by XRaySpeX
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Aug-14 00:47:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Brain fade frown. Thanks, edited smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 16-Aug-14 00:47:31)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Aug-14 00:54:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
65.82Mbps.
Wrong choice! This example is 10K below.

Time for bed and get in right in AM? wink

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User mcclaw
(member) Sat 16-Aug-14 09:28:24
Print Post

Hi Roberto,

I have been connected since 31st July. The figures quoted are from BT Test I ran

--- --- ---

Plusnet 78/20
SDPNRTH exchange
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Aug-14 09:48:56
Print Post

[re: mcclaw] [link to this post]

If you disconnect and reconnect from your router (not your modem) I would expect the Plusnet figure to adjust to match the BT IP profile after a few hours, but it isn't causing you a problem as it is, you only really need to be concerned if it is lower than your IP profile.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Aug-14 09:56:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Oh yuk!

Too true. Both times I knew there was something wrong, but couldn't see my mental fingers properly due to tiredness and dim light.

Print Thread

Jump to