User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stevenfrenchy
(member) Tue 19-Aug-14 00:13:25
Print Post

another question about my connection

[link to this post]

after resolving an issue about my speed thanks to you guys , i have another question regarding it , i don't remember this being a problem in the past ,
for examble if i am having a facetime with a friend and i decide to send a photo in the same time by imessage , my connection just slow dows dramatically and the facetime just becomes very poor quality until the photo is sent , or if i play video games online and i decide to send a photo by imessage again online gaming just becomes unplayable , how come my upload is taken 100% by imessage , can they share it to make everything smoother? i have an upload of 0.75 mb i have noticed that about a couple of months ago i dont't remember being a problem before
thanks for your help guys
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Aug-14 08:25:31
Print Post

Re: another question about my connection

[re: stevenfrenchy] [link to this post]

Probably a combination of how you use your connection and sending better quality photos, i.e. they take longer to send as they are better resolution.

Facetime will already be using around half that upload speed, so when sending a still you swamp it and one or the other has to slow down.

It is possible to implement Quality of Service controls on your own router, but may spend a long time tweaking them to get everyone behaving how you want.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User stevenfrenchy
(member) Tue 19-Aug-14 11:07:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I thought by sending a photo through iMessage automatically reduce the size of it ( compress it ) so it shouldn't take to much connection ??
I guess I'll have to get used to it

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Aug-14 11:30:14
Print Post

A 1 MB picture would take over 8 seconds to send on your connection, so how long does the 'interference' last.

Phones can easily take a 3 or 4MB sized picture these days.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Tue 19-Aug-14 11:55:28
Print Post

Some found making the computer to have a static IP to router has solved problem.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 19-Aug-14 12:37:40
Print Post

I suspect that part of the long time involved may be to carry out the Compression, also in competition with the Games etc processing - including priority issues within the consol itself and its capabilities.

It may be that iMessage is doing the compression in parts, (trying to) send each in turn etc.

You may be able to resolve those aspects by trying sending a photo that is already compressed; or small enough not to require compression by iMessenger.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Aug-14 12:56:21
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Don't see how a static LAN IP would have any effect.

Print Thread

Jump to