User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User leej
(regular) Sun 24-Aug-14 15:26:59
Print Post

Have you had any issues with traffic management on Plusnet?

[link to this post]

Potential new user here. This is BT's latest scare to stop me leaving BT and joining Plusnet.

Is it anything to be concerned about?
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Aug-14 15:31:45
Print Post

Re: Have you had any issues with traffic management on Plusn

[re: leej] [link to this post]

Hello,

Nope!

It only affects you in the house to ensure people doing streaming and gaming get higher priority than people doing P2P etc.

I have my connection to myself and it's as if there is none 24/7
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Aug-14 15:48:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by leej:
Potential new user here. This is BT's latest scare to stop me leaving BT and joining Plusnet.
What is? Are you saying that a BT rep has said Plusnet uses traffic management?

Plusnet do operate what I'd call a QoS system(*) but that's not traffic management in the normal, negative, sense. The only time it's a problem is if their systems get out of sync with your connection speed but that doesn't happen often and is usually sorted out quickly.

(*)The basic idea is that Plusnet will prioritise traffic to your connection to ensure that time critical packets always get there. So with other ISPs if you're playing a game and downloading you might see a slight reduction in download speed and a bit of stutter in the game. But with PN you see a bigger reduction in download speed but no stutter in the game (which is a good thing).

QoS should produce a better overall experience but it's debateable whether an ISP should be applying it for its end users. It is a bit of a 'mother knows best' attitude smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 24-Aug-14 15:55:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User leej
(regular) Sun 24-Aug-14 16:01:22
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I have just been speaking with someone on BT's cancellation line who informed me that "Plusnet uses traffic management," and he has "heard it's pretty bad." He was telling me how it slows down gaming, video and VOIP so I looked up Plusnet's page on traffic management and informed him that very traffic would be prioritised according to them. He then said "well I can only go by what I've heard in my area, but it's worth bearing in mind that BT doesn't do traffic management at all." This surprises me anyway. I thought BT did do traffic management.

Everything in quotes is paraphrased.

Thanks for the information anyway. It's good to know that it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Aug-14 16:42:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by leej:

I have just been speaking with someone on BT's cancellation line who informed me that "Plusnet uses traffic management," and he has "heard it's pretty bad." He was telling me how it slows down gaming, video and VOIP so I looked up Plusnet's page on traffic management and informed him that very traffic would be prioritised according to them. He then said "well I can only go by what I've heard in my area, but it's worth bearing in mind that BT doesn't do traffic management at all." This surprises me anyway. I thought BT did do traffic management.

Everything in quotes is paraphrased.

Thanks for the information anyway. It's good to know that it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

I've heard that BT lie in order to keep customers - but it appears to be true. Walk away mate - they are showing their true colours now. Never once when I worked at PN did I ever slag another ISP off - it was just not allowed, Try and save the customer by promoting the benefits and features of what was on offer - if it didn't work give MAC code.

I dislike what BT are doing to you.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Aug-14 17:14:20
Print Post

BT do not engage in any traffic management etc.

PlusNet is as others have suggested.

I personally prefer ISPs who don't manage my traffic in any way. I can see how PlusNets service can benefit users but personally I would rather control things myself.

Either way I doubt PlusNet would be any worse.
Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Sun 24-Aug-14 18:22:57
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
I've heard that BT lie in order to keep customers - but it appears to be true.

Well just like them all really, but as well the rep from BT probably doesn't know what traffic management is.

Also in all fairness plusnet do title it as traffic management though its should really be QOS

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
I'm here to learn and help others using my experiences, not to argue with obnoxious people.
VirginMedia - Speed Test's: TBB | Ookla - BQM's: RS | AAISP | TBB
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Aug-14 19:15:53
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

But surely you can can only control the data once it gets to your router. Plusnets QoS prioritisation happens in their part of the network, not yours.

Kris

BT Infinity 2 but migrating to Plusnet
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Aug-14 19:39:05
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

Exactly that's why I dislike it.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 24-Aug-14 20:33:15
Print Post

As others have said, the BT rep is talking rubbish. I have never had a problem with "traffic management" and it is a good illustration of why I would not go near BT. Obviously I know Plusnet is owned by BT, that's a different matter.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sun 24-Aug-14 20:34:40)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to