User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Aug-14 18:15:51
Print Post

Thank You BT - Just joined Plusnet

[link to this post]

Thanks to BT's decision to enforce their price rise on existing customers, I've just got my MAC and signed up to Plusnet, 9 months into my 18 month contract.

I've not been with plusnet since 2006 but it seems like all the good elements of the company remain, even after the BT takeover.

Other than the price, the main driver was the upload speed. I like the more symmetrical nature of the 40/20 product compared to others with 40/10. I don't quite get the full 80/20 so losing on download isn't a big deal and worth saving £5.

I also really like the option of a static IP. I've been using free dynamic DNS services for years but recently their push for cash has become rather annoying.

Kris

BT Infinity 2
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange

Edited by Kr1s69 (Sun 24-Aug-14 18:21:45)

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 24-Aug-14 21:58:42
Print Post

Re: Thank You BT - Just joined Plusnet

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

I've found them excellent value/performance and no hassle, hope it works out well for you. My 18 month contract finishes soon and I don't currently see a better FTTC package so I doubt I'll be going anywhere.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Aug-14 22:07:52
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

Welcome. Although be aware PN just did the same to it's existing customers with the same clause to get out BT gave you/ Im existing and I have a 30 days to leave e-mail sat in my box.

But - PN is better value and the team really do bend over backwards to help

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 24-Aug-14 22:44:04
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

I joined in Feb 2012 and was happy to upgrade from 40/2 to 80/20 Unlimited in Jan 2013, even though my usage was then under 12 GB per month. That meant restarting my 18-month term which didn't bother me.

Now that has finished, I cannot see any other ISP worth moving to. However my line rental is still with BT and the landline phone is very rarely used. I have unlimited landline minutes on my mobile contract and don't often use 0800 etc. Thinking about Primus, the Post Office or Zen, given the latest exorbitant BT rise.

I see no point in moving my phone to Plusnet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 24-Aug-14 22:53:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My phone is with the Post Office, £10/month line rental(paid a year upfront). I hardly make any calls and chose the Post Office over Primus because once you throw in the extras(like an answering service) that Primus charged you extra for it was similar - also Primus CS had(has?) a bad online rep.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Aug-14 01:13:42
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
My phone is with the Post Office, £10/month line rental(paid a year upfront). I hardly make any calls and chose the Post Office over Primus because once you throw in the extras(like an answering service) that Primus charged you extra for it was similar - also Primus CS had(has?) a bad online rep.

I was thinking of joining post office line rental saver £120.00 once my LRS had expired with Plusnet next July 2015 because I do hate to pay £155.88 LRS with plusnet.
Standard User ppppenguin99
(member) Mon 25-Aug-14 08:25:48
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

This latest BT price rise makes me wonder if they are playing a deliberate strategy with Plusnet. If customers stay with BT they get the extra profit. If they move to PN then BT is still winning, albeit by not as much.

Although BT Retail and Openreach are separate businesses they both feed into the ultimate BT bottom line. Unless a customer decides to go to Virgin cable or abandon landline totally BT still get a slice of the pie whichver ISP theymigrate to.

Me, cynical?
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Mon 25-Aug-14 11:33:44
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
I was thinking of joining post office line rental saver £120.00 once my LRS had expired with Plusnet next July 2015 because I do hate to pay £155.88 LRS with plusnet.

So you'll go to all the bother of changing line rental suppliers to save the grand sum of £5.88 (at the prices quoted)?

You seem to be forgetting the fact that your PN FTTC will rise by £2.50 pm as you will no longer have that amount discounted (because you will no longer have both phone and Internet from PN).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 25-Aug-14 11:45:42
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

You are talking to a man who migrated his ADSLx several times a year on the basis of a single poor speed test. Then the supply of ISPs dried up wink.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Aug-14 11:57:22
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rastus:
So you'll go to all the bother of changing line rental suppliers to save the grand sum of £5.88 (at the prices quoted)?

It's £35.88 at the prices quoted.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to