User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 30-Aug-14 10:50:16
Print Post

Signing up before having Mac

[link to this post]

I know it is possible to sign up with PlusNet before getting Mac code (from BT in my case), and then telling them the Mac when you get it.

I seem to remember reading a few cases where people did this and it caused confusion, including at worst complete cancellation of the line. I can't think of what to search for in the forum to find these posts. I'd be very grateful if anyone who has done this could post their experiences of the migration (good or bad).

Doesn't look like I'll get my Mac till Monday and some good Topcashback deals end tomorrow (Sunday). Many thanks.

--
BT Infinity 2, thinking of moving to PlusNet
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Aug-14 15:43:49
Print Post

Re: Signing up before having Mac

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

I have never done it but I worked there for 3 years and did this a lot from the other end.

You just sign up and then the system puts your order into a pre signup state. I am not sure if you can go online and enter it in the order tracker to start the order going again. But if not then call up and any member of the team can put this in ( customer services is probably the right route )

Then the system will process as normal. Again I have never migrated to PN vbut my dad did from O2 and it was smooth - this was some years ago.

As for the TCB site - Surely if you sign up before the offer ends then MAC code or not you have still signed up and should qualify? It only means the prices will go up again at some point soon to compensate but ho hum.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sat 30-Aug-14 15:44:58)

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 31-Aug-14 00:05:42
Print Post

I signed up without a MAC, IIRC(it was over a year ago) your order is just basically held until you provide it - as pcoventry76 suggests.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User awontroba
(newbie) Sun 31-Aug-14 01:01:12
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

I signed up without a MAC a few weeks ago. BT did not email the MAC code within 5 days. I had to prise it out of them by phone.
I think you can supply PlusNet with your MAC by replying to a SMS message, as well as updating a ticket.

--
Adrian
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Aug-14 10:20:34
Print Post

[re: awontroba] [link to this post]

If you want faster then it's best to call them but yes I forgot about that.

You can SMS them and that will update the ticker as a reply so no need to to the portal at all
(experienced) Sun 31-Aug-14 12:51:47
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Thankyou everybody for your helpful advice. I have just signed up (using Topcashback) and asked for service on 26 Sept (to give me a little leeway from by one month BT cancellation). I should get my BT Mac tomorrow or Tuesday at latest.

I signed up for the 40/20. I get around 60 or better download at the moment on Infinity 2; I hardly ever take advantage of the download but I do like the 20 download.

I'll keep posted how it goes in case anybody else in similar situation is interested.
------
Step 1. Topcashack has tracked very quickly .... obviously not paid yet but a good start.

--

Edited by StephenTodd (Sun 31-Aug-14 13:22:25)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Aug-14 15:27:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
I signed up for the 40/20. I get around 60 or better download at the moment on Infinity 2; I hardly ever take advantage of the download but I do like the 20 download.

Welcome aboard smile

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
(experienced) Mon 01-Sep-14 12:14:43
Print Post

@jchamier. Thanks for the welcome

Step 2: My BT Mac arrived without any prompting ... 4 working days. (4 identical emails and 2 identical SMS messages so far)
Mac submitted online to PlusNet. If I haven't got email with confirmed date by tomorrow I'll call customer service as well; it seems from some comments that sometimes the kickstart of the order can get dropped between cracks in the PlusNet system.

~~~
Step 3: I rang with my Mac as well and to confirm dates. The order wasn't yet going through, I don't know how long it would have been delayed if I hadn't rang as well. They started the order and said precise date would follow in text.
Step 4: Text arrived, but with date of 9th, despite the fact that I had requested 26th on my order. Doubly awkward as we will be away then, and it gives us too much overlap with our BT broadband cancellation.
Step 5: Rang again, date corrected to 26th.

Impressions so far.
* Shame about the date mixup, but not at all serious.
* Really helpful and easy to understand support staff on both telephone calls.
* I'd rather have even shorter wait times, but I guess 15 mins or so counts as pretty good in this industry. (I've got used to First Direct apologizing if its over 30 seconds).
* I'd rather have very different music while waiting; but I guess most of their customers wouldn't want Bach either so I'll have to live with it.

--

Edited by StephenTodd (Mon 01-Sep-14 17:50:53)

(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Sep-14 15:54:20
Print Post

Yes mine was stuck for 3 days until I called
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Sep-14 21:29:24
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Yes mine was stuck for 3 days until I called

Likewise - RobertoS suggested I call up back in June smile

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to