User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User richardportway
(regular) Mon 01-Sep-14 18:31:18
Print Post

PlusNet blocking all emails sent from my server

[link to this post]

Hello,

Hopefully someone from PlusNet will see this email and be able to help.

I have my own dedicated server with several domains on it. Last week one user noticed their messages sent to a plus.com address were being bounced with

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host mx.avasin.plus.net [212.159.9.200]: 552 Spam Message Rejected

Since then I have noticed this is in fact affecting everyone on my server.

The server isn't on any RBLs, and even plain text emails get blocked so I don't understand why PlusNet are blocking everything sent from my server. I don't have any problems sending to anywhere else.

There's no link in the rejection emails in order to progress this further and all the help channels at PlusNet seem to be for customers only so am hoping someone at PlusNet will see this and be able to help.

regards,
Richard.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 01-Sep-14 18:40:46
Print Post

Re: PlusNet blocking all emails sent from my server

[re: richardportway] [link to this post]

I wonder if (for whatever reason) this is the other side of this thread?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(regular) Mon 01-Sep-14 18:45:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your message but I can't see how it's anything to do with that thread.

This is PlusNet outright blocking my independant mail server attempting to send genuine emails to a variety of different email addresses with the plus.com ending.

regards,
Richard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 01-Sep-14 19:53:24
Print Post

I was thinking along the lines of the relevant "sent" emails in the other thread being thought to be emanating from your server, so anything incoming from your server would also be blocked.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Sep-14 21:31:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by richardportway:
This is PlusNet outright blocking my independant mail server attempting to send genuine emails to a variety of different email addresses with the plus.com ending.

Any receiving server runs its own policies on what it wants to receive. Plusnet and others are quite within their rights to block messages from IP addresses known to be at the end of broadband links etc. (e.g. I've set my hosted mail server to block IPs from china and korea, as I can't even read that spam).

I assume you're hosting the mail server on a static IP on your broadband line?

If not, you should ask the people with plus.com mailboxes to raise support issues, saying they can't receive mails from "xyz" domain. The paying person is often listened to.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed

Edited by jchamier (Mon 01-Sep-14 21:32:23)

(regular) Mon 01-Sep-14 22:34:59
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I assume you're hosting the mail server on a static IP on your broadband line?

If not, you should ask the people with plus.com mailboxes to raise support issues, saying they can't receive mails from "xyz" domain. The paying person is often listened to.

No, it's a dedicated server hosted in telehouse.

It looks like I may need to ask those with plus.com addresses to report this, it just surprises me that PlusNet's system doesn't have a way to report this when you're not a customer.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Sep-14 07:37:23
Print Post

No, it's a dedicated server hosted in telehouse.

It looks like I may need to ask those with plus.com addresses to report this, it just surprises me that PlusNet's system doesn't have a way to report this when you're not a customer.

Not unusual sadly. Many email providers don't take issues/tickets from non customers. The spammers have broken everything that was good about email cooperation. :-/

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Sep-14 12:05:34
Print Post

Thanks to people sending spam from your server, (Guess), it may have been blocked by some black list somewhere, which plusnet subscribe to. It is normally relatively easy to get off the black list, particularly if you can identify the domain sending them and change passwords etc.

It is worth checking that mail to microsoft addresses (hotmail. outlook) and google addresses are working as these are often the first to impose blocks.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
Nov  143,  Dec  125,  Jan  77,  Feb 174,  Mar  210,  April 384, May 450, 
June 485, July 512, Aug 433, 
Max Day  25.2
(regular) Thu 04-Sep-14 16:29:38
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Yes indeed, from time to time sometimes peoples passwords are identified and accounts used to send spam, but I nearly always catch these early and get them changed.

Frequent checks of the mail queue on the server quickly highlights affected accounts.

Mail to microsoft addresses and gmail are all working fine, it's just PlusNet that's been blocking for over a week now, but no way to remove the server from their blocklist!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Sep-14 21:07:17
Print Post

Mail to microsoft addresses and gmail are all working fine, it's just PlusNet that's been blocking for over a week now, but no way to remove the server from their blocklist!

Frequent problem frown I run a LISTSERV server and have hit this sort of problem a few times. You hopefully have an email account on a different system that you can email these people with, and get the recipient to take it up with Plusnet that they are missing mail. At least they will then be aware.

Spammers have broken email when 100% of companies are routinely deleting 80% to 95% of mail at their boundary without anyone doing any visual checks :-/

Print Thread

Jump to