User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Sep-14 21:47:40
Print Post

Advice on house move

[link to this post]

I would welcome advice and information please. Although probably better posted to the Plusnet Communities forum I thought I might get some useful advice here.

My daughters are each in the process of purchasing houses in London SE23 (coincidentally in the same road but at opposite ends) and are due to complete their purchases later this month. Both want to go with Plusnet (they are current Plusnet customers, albeit ADSL, in their present shared flat which they will vacate at the end of the month). Both wish to go with Plusnet's 40/20 FTTC product which shouldn't be a problem, one is 200m from the PCP and its FTTC twin and the other even closer, the PCP and FTTC twin being immediately opposite.

Their question isn't one of price but rather procedures regarding their respective moves and timing. One of the properties had an FTTC connection prior to the sale. I/we have no idea as to the identity of the previous phone supplier or ISP at either property. Does this matter?

a) At what point should they contact Plusnet for the provision of a phone line? Can this be done prior to completion and if yes, how soon before?
b) What is the likely timescale for the phone to be connected.
c) What is the likely timescale for the FTTC connection to be enabled 1) for the property where the previous owner had FTTC, and 2) for the property with no previous FTTC connection.
d) Can the FTTC connection be ordered at the same time as the phone? (I believe the answer here is yes.)

Thanks
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Sep-14 08:58:44
Print Post

Re: Advice on house move

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

I'd suggest ordering as soon as contracts are exchanged and to make sure that there is at least two clear weeks between exchange and completion to allow this and other other arrangements needed to be put in place.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Sep-14 09:08:43
Print Post

Is it definitely FTTC as there is some FTTP around that area also?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Sep-14 09:36:31
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Is it definitely FTTC as there is some FTTP around that area also?
Yes, FTTC for both. My younger daughter missed out on a house nearer to Honor Oak Park station which had FTTP. frown
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Sep-14 10:14:30
Print Post

I hope I can give some useful info here. I've moved house with PN 3 times in 3 weeks due to circumstance and each time they followed me around putting lines in.

Don't do anything until completion, if it falls though, which we all know is possible then it's a waste of money. I put a phone line into a property and had to leave 3 days later.

It was 1 week for me for a new line and this includes lines with no dial tone that have been unplugged for capacity reasons.. If there is a dial tone and 17070 produces a number it's a stopped line and that's done within 24 hours by the exchange itself.

If the line is active and has the faceplate it could just be a case of sending out the PN modem as the last person should have left the OR modem at the premises. This is what BT advise. And there is a good chance, unless the NGA is rammed, that they will still be connected there also.

Yes

Edited by pcoventry76 (Wed 03-Sep-14 10:15:35)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Sep-14 14:09:24
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Don't do anything until completion, if it falls though, which we all know is possible then it's a waste of money. I put a phone line into a property and had to leave 3 days later.
Why leave it until the day you move in (completion) which will almost certainly mean a period with no phone or broadband - probably at least two weeks.

Unless you were using a totally useless solicitor if the deal falls through after exchange of contracts because of the action of another party you will get full costs reimbursed.

jelv

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Sep-14 17:41:38
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I believe only and up until moneys have been transferred is everything complete and only costs associated with the transfer are recoverable.

Anything the buyer does outwith the contract, ordering things for the house, are surely not the responsibility of the seller?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Sep-14 19:38:18
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

No,

The solicitor quality is irrelevant , the seller or buyer can still pull out right up to that point. So if someone orders things and it falls though then it is their own fault.

I've bought many houses and I've had some fall through too in the past 5 years. 2 fell through because the seller dropped dead and had no family. Another was when someone got a higher offer a few minutes before completion. It turned out to be a dudd though and to this day that house is still for sale. I refused to spend more money on it for it to happen again

Edited by pcoventry76 (Wed 03-Sep-14 19:38:42)

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Wed 03-Sep-14 20:41:23
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

After exchange there are usually fairly strong penalties for failing to complete on the given day (failure by either buyer or seller). Exceptional circumstances such as death might override those. Before exchange you should assume nothing.

But it sounds as if pcoventry76 has had some pretty bad recent experiences, so maybe he knows the realities of things better than I do.

--
BT Infinity 2, moving to PlusNet (26th Sept if all goes well)
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Sep-14 21:20:13
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

You are correct.

I moved just over a year ago and our solicitor made it very clear about the penalties of failing to complete on the agreed date once contracts had been exchanged.

My guess is that (like may people do) pcoventry76 cheap-skated and used a conveyancing firm. I made that mistake once in the past - they were useless and we suffered a loss (thankfully not very big) as a consequence. Also the vendor for our recent purchase used a conveyancing firm which delayed the process unnecessarily by about a month - our solicitor had to do a lot of extra chasing.

There is a reason why conveyancing firms are cheaper than solicitors!

jelv

Edited by jelv (Wed 03-Sep-14 21:21:53)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to