User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Fri 05-Sep-14 14:00:20
Print Post

Plusnet phone: 18185 etc

[link to this post]

I've just asked Plusnet about possible charges for 18866/18185 etc.

1) PlusNet does not block prefix number calls (such as 18185, 18866)?
We do not block the use of these numbers ... good

2) PlusNet does not make any charge for making such calls?
As these are indirect dialing numbers you may be charged for the use of these numbers. question below, also I've asked them what the cost is and where it is spelt out

3) This is the same for monthly line rental and for line rental saver?
The line rental saver is £155.88 per year which works out at £12.99 per month rather than £15.95 per month. Doesn't cover the effect of losing evening and weekend with LRS, and how that might impact 18185 etc, so I've asked for more detail there.

Their answers are still incomplete, so I've asked for more clarification, but meanwhile asking for people's real experience here. I've seen some posts from a time ago, but they were not completely conclusive and may be out of date.

I thought there is a difference between indirect dialling numbers like Simply Dial 0844 200 8585 which go through the operator's (Plusnet's) system and indirect access numbers (such as 18185) which effectively bypass that system.

--
BT Infinity 2, moving to PlusNet (26th Sept if all goes well)
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Sep-14 14:57:49
Print Post

Re: Plusnet phone: 18185 etc

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
I thought there is a difference between indirect dialling numbers like Simply Dial 0844 200 8585 which go through the operator's (Plusnet's) system and indirect access numbers (such as 18185) which effectively bypass that system.

There is. You get charged by Plusnet for the 0844 call and the operator gets a cut of it, which pays for the call. You do not get charged by Plusnet for the call to 18185 but the operator will charge you separately.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Sep-14 15:28:50
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Have you used 18185 or other such prefix numbers from overide providers before?
At the moment PN aren't charging me for any calls when I'm using the prefix 18185, but they do charge me if I don't use the prefix number.
If PN think they are loosing too much revenue from calls then things might change so that they can continue to offer their cheap deals for Unlimited BB products to some customers.

plusnet user

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Sep-14 22:05:24
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

I don't think Plusnet is allowed to charge for calls to 18185 or similar numbers, what they can do is block access to them, which is the path they would take if they felt it was unduly hitting revenue.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Sep-14 09:02:52
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Yes some companies do not support the use of overide providers, one for example being Zen unless they have changed their position since this reply was made last December (2013):-

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/t/4286685-re-18...

plusnet user
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 06-Sep-14 09:28:38
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone for the replies and clarification.

--
BT Infinity 2, moving to PlusNet (26th Sept if all goes well)
Standard User doveman
(newbie) Sat 06-Sep-14 21:23:02
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
I don't think Plusnet is allowed to charge for calls to 18185 or similar numbers, what they can do is block access to them, which is the path they would take if they felt it was unduly hitting revenue.

Surely they couldn't block access to the 0808 number though? If 18185 was blocked and everyone used the 0808 number instead, wouldn't that equally affect their revenue?
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Sep-14 22:11:39
Print Post

[re: doveman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by doveman:
Surely they couldn't block access to the 0808 number though? If 18185 was blocked and everyone used the 0808 number instead, wouldn't that equally affect their revenue?

Good point, but I think providers can and do block indirect access numbers. Also, I don't really know how the revenue stream works with 080 numbers, i.e. does Plusnet get a cut?

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
  Print Thread

Jump to