User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User davidjfirman
(learned) Mon 08-Sep-14 18:24:11
Print Post

Speed drop with TP-Link W8970 Router

[link to this post]

I migrated to PlusNet today - the Kelly's engineer turned up and installed the BTO Modem and connected the PlusNet TG Router - all was OK with an initial D/S of 37M and an U/S of 16M.

However...... when I installed my TP-Link router, the speeds have dropped to 3.5 / 0.8.

I have configured my router to operate in Wireless Router Mode, instead of ADSL Modem Router Mode, the WAN interface is set as PPPoE and I have input my PlusNet ID and password. In case it makes any difference I have disabled IPv6 (didn't seem to make any difference at all).

Just to make sure, I reconnected the TG router - the speeds shot back up to 37/16

Any suggestions? I feel that I'm missing something somewhere - but I'm [expletive deleted] if I know what.

Sky unlimited BB - 6788 / 1117 (if it's working) but soon to be PlusNet FTTC.
[Dialup with Prestel @1200/75; AOL @ 9600; Line One, ClaraNET & C&W @ 56k; then ADSL/ADSL2 from PlusNet, BT, PostOffice and O2]
(learned) Mon 08-Sep-14 18:31:25
Print Post

Re: Speed drop with TP-Link W8970 Router

[re: davidjfirman] [link to this post]

....just to add, if anyone wants a look at the user manual for the TP-Link router, it's here: http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/document/TD-W8970_V...

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

PlusNet FTTC - 37.71M / 16.66.
[Dialup with Prestel @1200/75; AOL @ 9600; Line One, ClaraNET & C&W @ 56k; then ADSL/ADSL2 from PlusNet, BT, PostOffice, O2 and Sky (not out of choice)]
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Sep-14 18:41:50
Print Post

Are you testing these speeds over WiFi?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(learned) Mon 08-Sep-14 18:45:14
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Are you testing these speeds over WiFi?

No, gigabit ethernet.

[Dialup with Prestel @1200/75; AOL @ 9600; Line One, ClaraNET & C&W @ 56k; then ADSL/ADSL2 from PlusNet, BT, PostOffice, O2 and Sky (not out of choice)]
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 08-Sep-14 19:04:00
Print Post

Which port are you connecting the modem into? LAN4 or the ADSL Port?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(learned) Mon 08-Sep-14 19:34:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

LAN4 - the eWAN port.

It's all OK, problem solved...... I had enabled bandwidth control to stop my kids (and any visitors!) from tying up too much bandwidth and had not updated the connection speeds to reflect fibre. DOH!

Idiot boy!

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Sep-14 20:23:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by davidjfirman:
It's all OK, problem solved...... I had enabled bandwidth control to stop my kids (and any visitors!) from tying up too much bandwidth and had not updated the connection speeds to reflect fibre. DOH!

I've done this smile Its a shame the bandwidth limiters in routers isn't done as a percentage.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
(learned) Mon 08-Sep-14 21:21:00
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by davidjfirman:

I've done this smile Its a shame the bandwidth limiters in routers isn't done as a percentage.
Agreed - it might have saved me from a lot of stress and my neighbours from hearing a lot of bad language!

plusnet FTTC ~ 37.7M / 16.7 @ 565m.

[80% of the questons that start with "Why" can be answered with "Because people are stupid"]
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 08-Sep-14 21:30:18
Print Post

I know it seemed a silly question, but I only had the broadbandbuyer blurb to go on, which has the same popup for both the ports.

There seems to be no way I can get to the tp-link .com site from here. I have just found uk.tp-link.com but can't find the user manual download even now.

Glad you have it sorted smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to