User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Sep-14 13:10:18
Print Post

Thinking about moving phone to PN

[link to this post]

I'm already an FTTC PN customer but am currently on BT's line rental saver product. I'm up for renewal in a while and was wondering how easy it would be to switch. I assume it should be trivial faultless process smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 11-Sep-14 13:27:59
Print Post

Re: Thinking about moving phone to PN

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

It should be.

However, you need to look into all the other line/call costs. It is much more complex than the rental and broadband discount themselves. Simple things like 1571 and caller display.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User awontroba
(newbie) Thu 11-Sep-14 13:45:33
Print Post

I recently moved ADSL and phone from BT to Plusnet Business.

The phone switch over was painless.

The phone service does almost all I want of it, with the addition of the CLI extra and activation of voice mail. I do slightly miss the BT facility of sending a SMS message to a linked mobile when voice mail is left, which can then phone home and listen to the voice mail.

On line access to call and billing information is far easier and faster than BT's dreadful system, which I have been unable to log on to for months. If you cannot log on to see them, paperless bills are invisible. At least the BT final bills came on paper.

As Roberto says, do investigate the availability and costs of any options you want.

--
Adrian

Edited by awontroba (Thu 11-Sep-14 13:50:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User aks
(committed) Wed 17-Sep-14 22:05:57
Print Post

I switched both to PN and phone was very easy including taking my number, ADSL to fibre quite painless too.

---
Tony
Standard User DRW
(committed) Sat 20-Sep-14 10:19:33
Print Post

[re: awontroba] [link to this post]

PN do supply a Call minder messaging process that sends a text to a linked mobile phone - however it is an extra cost - as with BT.

Sadly it does not send a text to the linked mobile phone if the phone is not in the UK. When I was on BT it did not send texts to out of country UK based mobile phones.

Edited by DRW (Sat 20-Sep-14 10:21:06)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Sep-14 14:29:25
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DRW:
When I was on BT it did not send texts to out of country UK based mobile phones.
How would it know?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User DRW
(committed) Sun 21-Sep-14 16:14:46
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Perhaps the sender company can communicate with the receiving telephone operator and tell the operator not to forward the text - or it could be a standard policy not to forward machine generated text messages abroad.

A question for your mobile phone company - perhaps

Edited by DRW (Sun 21-Sep-14 16:15:37)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Sep-14 16:50:36
Print Post

Doubt it!

SMS is done by store-and-forward. The sender would have no idea the UK handset was abroad. The receiving mobile network would but wouldn't know that the SMS was machine generated and would treat it just like any other SMS for that handset and forward it when the handset next came online.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Sep-14 11:12:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by DRW:
Perhaps the sender company can communicate with the receiving telephone operator and tell the operator not to forward the text - or it could be a standard policy not to forward machine generated text messages abroad.

A question for your mobile phone company - perhaps
I've found BT's text handling to be unreliable anyway. Sometimes it just doesn't work for a week until/unless someone calls BT and gives them a kick.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Sep-14 16:07:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
... things like 1571 and caller display.
Although I'm with neither of them, one slight tempation for using BT was their 'SmartTalk' App allowing calls made on your mobile to be treated as if from your landline. I was considering this for instances where one needs to dial an 0845, 0870 or 0800/0808/0500 (prior to those being free of charge on all networks {sometime next year perhaps?}).

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to