User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Fri 12-Sep-14 23:32:55
Print Post

Plusnet or BT for FTTC

[link to this post]

I currently have Sky Unlimited Broadband, and a BT phone line. I don't want Sky FTTC as that entails taking their phone service. So the options are BT or PN. I don't want to move my phone line.

BT estimates my download speeds to be 67-80Mb and the connection charge is included in the price.
Unlimited BT Infinity 2 up to 76Mb download £20/mth for 3 months then £26.

PN estimates my download speed at 66Mb, £50 connection charge and £5.99 router p&p for a router I don't particularly want. I understand I could save £50 taking PN's phone package but don't wish to do so.
Unlimited Fibre Extra 66Mb download £22.49 pm. Is this 66Mb a hard cap, what happens if my line can exceed 66Mb?

Should I decide to move to PN would I need to get a MAC from Sky, I'm currently on their LLU unlimited broadband?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Sep-14 00:24:07
Print Post

Re: Plusnet or BT for FTTC

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

The 66 Mbps is not a hard cap, just a sales estimate. Line can go faster or slower and you don't know until connection is live

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Sep-14 02:09:20
Print Post

£5.99 router p&p for a router I don't particularly want
Use of the Plusnet router is entirely optional however at £5.99 for p&p it might be worth considering as a spare. If you don't want it uncheck the box when signing up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Sep-14 09:03:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by wingco1:
So the options are BT or PN. I don't want to move my phone line.
There are other ISPs who will provide FTTC with the phone provided by BT.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User leej
(regular) Sat 13-Sep-14 09:04:26
Print Post

The router is optional. The speeds are an estimate based on line length and distance from cabinet. To my knowledge, you will get identical speeds whether you choose BT or Plusnet. Both are unlimited with no caps. BT is more expensive.

I switched from BT (ADSL2+) to Plusnet FTTC yesterday, and even though I always intended to use my Billion 7800n router, I still paid for the one from Plusnet in case of emergencies. Even with that £5.99, it's still cheaper than BT.

These are the speeds this brand new Plusnet customer has been getting since yesterday anyway.

Edited by leej (Sat 13-Sep-14 09:06:17)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Sep-14 09:49:09
Print Post

Should I decide to move to PN would I need to get a MAC from Sky, I'm currently on their LLU unlimited broadband?

Yes.

I moved to Plusnet in June after being with BT for 19 months for two reasons. 1) its cheaper and 2) Plusnet has options such as static IP that BT don't offer.

I've not seen any difference in the actual service, and I've only had to contact support once (the day I joined) to get my profile sorted. I had to contact sales when signing up as my order didn't go through properly, but that seems to happen to people moving from BT to plusnet for some odd reason.

I didn't take the Plusnet router as I have two here already. Plusnet will get an openreach engineer to install a modem which means you can use any router with an ethernet WAN port.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Sep-14 13:41:57
Print Post

You are on Partial LLU with Sky as you have a BT line. Therefore you need and should use a MAC.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sat 13-Sep-14 15:06:20
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

As an add on question to all. I have four third party email addresses, would I be able to use the PN smtp servers?
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Sep-14 20:20:09
Print Post

As an add on question to all. I have four third party email addresses, would I be able to use the PN smtp servers?

Do the addresses not have their own SMTP servers you could use?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 67000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sat 13-Sep-14 21:24:49
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Unfortunately being on Sky at the moment I can't check. Currently using sky.tools.co.uk
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to