User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WelshWArrior
(experienced) Tue 16-Sep-14 08:28:03
Print Post

Can Fibre installation at exchange affect individual lines?

[link to this post]

Looking at my graph

you can see that I'm suffering from a lot of dropped packets from around 9pm - 8am onwards each day. Internet access seems to grind to a halt for brief periods and I get page unavailable a lot during this before recovering.

They started installing fibre cabs around town a few weeks ago and my line was fine until then. Could something they are doing in the exchange cause this? I have tried turning off router for a few mins and re-connecting but this has done nothing.

-------------------------------------------
PlusNet ADSL2+ Unlimited.
Speedtest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Sep-14 08:45:27
Print Post

Re: Can Fibre installation at exchange affect individual lin

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

Should make no difference, unless fiddling in your PSTN cabinet and an engineer knocks the line, which is possible everytime they do some line work in a cabinet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Tue 16-Sep-14 08:53:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

There was an engineer working in my cab (scp) at the beginning of last week so that could well explain it then. I just check back on the graphs and it started Monday 8th so I reckon that's it.

There is probably nothing I can do about it is there? I doubt PlusNet would be interested as it's not really causing me much hassle (just the wife who is up through the night breast-feeding and browses the net to stay sane!!!).

Little strange though as it only seems to affect the line at night!

Speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 16-Sep-14 12:59:45
Print Post

Back in the days of dial-up, I had few problems during the day, using dial-up to access remote computers at other company sites.

The lines involved tended to have a fairly consistent level of noise, during the day.

However, when working overtime, occasionally to midnight, to get "quiet time" without interruption from colleagues etc, the dial-up lines would normally seem quiet; but I encountered more frequent interruptions, presumed to be due to spikes standing out more clearly against the generally-quieter background noise.

Something like that may be happening to your line.

With the way that the PCPs are designed and wired, existing wiring and joints can be disturbed and effectively must be disturbed on any occasion that any work is carried out in them.
(experienced) Tue 16-Sep-14 13:06:38
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Yeah it could be. It's gotten even worse and is now happening constantly:

Live Graph

I've filled out a fault ticket with PlusNet so I'll see what they say.

Speedtest
(experienced) Tue 16-Sep-14 20:26:03
Print Post

Well this is really getting annoying now. In just 12hrs, my attenuation has gone from 31 to 42, my connection speed has gone from around 13meg to 6 meg and I'm getting disconnected every few mins!!! Not good at all.

My live graph is a hideous mass of red at the moment. If anyone from PlusNet is reading this, can you PLEASE take a look at ticket: 91648155 ??

Speedtest
Standard User awontroba
(newbie) Tue 16-Sep-14 22:41:42
Print Post

Tickets can take days to be looked at, and each time you update one it goes to the back of the queue.
Perhaps the best approach is to update the ticket with salient detail, then phone Support about it.

--
Adrian
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-Sep-14 23:01:51
Print Post

Don't forget this isn't an official Plusnet forum. Have you posted on the Community forums, where they look more often?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User BREWERDAVE
(regular) Wed 17-Sep-14 08:16:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

When they were putting in the fibre cab. for my area in February/March this year, the SNRM went sky high and my synch speed dropped from nearly 20Mb to 5Mb !!!! After the work was finished the synch recovered but its never got back to where it was -I've "lost" about 1.5Mb of synch speed. ......and the FTTC service has still not gone live at this cab. (or any other on our exchange) nearly 7 months from the works being carried out.
Standard User Chris
(member) Wed 17-Sep-14 12:13:57
Print Post

[re: awontroba] [link to this post]

I had a similar problem some years ago. It was due to a street light not working. As soon as the lights came on outside our internet started disconnecting and the problem disappeared in the morning when they went off.

Worth a look outside to check.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to