User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User urban4691
(member) Mon 29-Sep-14 09:34:01
Print Post

Wake on LAN

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I am using the Screens app to control my computer from my iPhone. I have set up port mapping on the router successfully, and it all works.

The only problem is that when I try to access the computer when it's sleeping, it doesn't work. I have enabled Wake on LAN on the Mac, but I think I need to do it at the router as well. Do you have any idea how?

It's the standard Plusnet Technicolor TG582n router.

Thanks!

-----

PlusNet FTTC 65Mbps down, 19Mbps up @ 650m
Vodafone 4G 40Mbps down, 20Mbps up
TsoHost domain and hosting
Standard User WelshWArrior
(experienced) Mon 29-Sep-14 10:12:27
Print Post

Re: Wake on LAN

[re: urban4691] [link to this post]

You may also need to turn on WOL in the computer's BIOS if it's in there. I had to setup 500 PCs over the summer for WOL and had to set it on both the NIC and in the BIOS.

-------------------------------------------
PlusNet ADSL2+ Unlimited.
Speedtest
Standard User urban4691
(member) Mon 29-Sep-14 13:13:32
Print Post

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

Thanks! How do I do it in the BIOS (on a Mac), and what about in the NIC?

-----

PlusNet FTTC 65Mbps down, 19Mbps up @ 650m
Vodafone 4G 40Mbps down, 20Mbps up
TsoHost domain and hosting

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 29-Sep-14 13:57:00
Print Post

The port that needs to be forwarded will vary depending on what software you're using to send the magic packet, but the normal port used for WoL is 9. UDP is the protocol that needs to be forwarded; it is not necessary to forward the TCP protocol. The IP address that the packet needs to be forwarded to will change depending on the network mask you are using on your LAN. The default network mask is 255.255.255.0. If you are using this mask, you should forward traffic destined to your WoL port to xxx.xxx.xxx.255. If you are using the default settings in the router, this address would probably be 192.168.1.255. The 255 in the address, using the default network mask, signifies that the router should forward any information sent to the indicated port to all computers on the LAN side. If you are using the router's default settings with a program that sends the "magic packet" to port 9, basically just forward all UDP traffic on port 9 to 192.168.1.255. If there is an option for external and internal ports, the same port number should be used for both external and internal.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User DougM
(member) Mon 29-Sep-14 15:28:35
Print Post

Macs don't require any change outside the OS Preferences to enable wake-on-LAN.

As a matter of fact, Macs don't use BIOS - they use Intel's successor to the legacy BIOS called EFI (or UEFI). BIOS is often used as a generic term for anything configured pre-OS.

As indicated in another post, you will need to ensure the WoL packet can get from your iPhone to the broadcast address of your LAN with a UDP port-forward. Does the App have a WoL option? If so, check what port it uses and set-up the forward using that. Else you'll need to download a separate WoL app and follow its instructions to configure the right port.

-==-
DougM
  Print Thread

Jump to