User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Thu 02-Oct-14 16:39:49
Print Post

Just moved home with PlusNet

[link to this post]

Hi,

Thought I'd share my house move story.

Moved on 12th September from old house, discussed everything with house movers teams, all arranged, or so I thought.

Was told new address/postcode was showing 80 Mbps download speeds, so I agreed to go for that, and pay the extra, from unlimited fibre to unlimited fibre extra, then wait for BT and Openreach.

19th September, BT arrive to install phone line.

30th September, Openreach arrive, change BT socket faceplate to enable broadband, and confirms speeds at the cabinet and internally, at 76 to 80 Mbps download, I'm happy.

Openreach guy says he's never done a PlusNet install before, so I walked him through connecting the white Openreach modem to the Technicolor router supplied by PlusNet, all seems to work OK.

Now go online to the member centre at PlusNet, where they still have my old address/phone number linked to my account.

On the phone to customer services, wait an age, then get a guy who says yes, I'm now on the 40Mbps package, No , wait, I'm supposed to be on the 80Mbps package, he can't help, so transfers me onto someone else, where I'm told it will be corrected very soon, and I'll get an email off them to confirm.

Nothing happened, back on the phone, and speak to great guy called S Dennison, who I ask to stay on hold with, until we both know this is sorted, he agrees, and within 20 minuets, all is as it should have been.

Why this was so complicated, I'll never know, but no one answered my tickets until after all this was sorted?

As a plus side, as I agreed to sign up for a new 24 month contract, got services at reduced monthly cost, so this makes it much better.

Extra Note:

After doing various speed checks, had to get back in touch with PlusNet, and nice guy called Rubin in tech support, told me I was set to 46Mbps, instead of correct one, which his team leader has now corrected, and I'm showing 78Mbps download speeds.

Odd that so many calls have to be made by the customer, instead of PlusNet staff doing what's needed?

Last part of this is a question to all of you, does anyone know of a better router to replace the Technicolor one PlusNet provide to enable connection of the Openreach white modem to?

Thanks.

zrerz.
PlusnetFibre

Edited by zrerz (Thu 02-Oct-14 17:21:53)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Oct-14 18:12:45
Print Post

Re: Just moved home with PlusNet

[re: zrerz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zrerz:
Last part of this is a question to all of you, does anyone know of a better router to replace the Technicolor one PlusNet provide to enable connection of the Openreach white modem to?

I have an Asus RT-AC68U which is excellent, and my parents have just bought my sister and brother-in-law the slightly newer model. If you don't need AC wireless then the RT-N66U is still excellent value.

The AC87U has 4 externals antennas for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, the N66U and AC68U have three.

RT-N66U:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-RT-N66U-Wireless-stream...

RT-AC68U:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-RT-AC68U-Wireless-Broad...

RT-AC87U:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-RT-AC87U-Wireless-Broad...

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Oct-14 18:47:43
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Billion 8800NL are the best (very cheap) as for RT-AC87U - it far rip off too expensive!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Oct-14 19:00:56
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Billion 8800NL are the best (very cheap) as for RT-AC87U - it far rip off too expensive!

It really depends what size building you're trying to get WiFi signal to cover to be honest. 5 GHz is a hard signal to get to a 4 bedroom home, and the 87U works in places where other routers had no signal, and where powerline and repeaters would be required (total more expense and more hassle).

The Billion router looks good but is only 1 gigabit ethernet port, and only 2.4 GHz wifi which means useless in areas where there are lots and lots of networks. (like my road).

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Thu 02-Oct-14 19:10:48
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:

You get what you pay for! Though I did only pay £165 for the Asus RT-AC87R From fleabay USA. On 802.11ac wifi it's giving me 75 meg speedtests Router is downstairs and desktop with AC adaptor is 2 floors up. I very much doubt the billion 8800 would give me such speeds on wifi n

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps