User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Oct-14 17:32:55
Print Post

Re: Just moved home with PlusNet

[re: zrerz] [link to this post]

What does this estimator say?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Sat 04-Oct-14 17:58:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 66.8 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 54 20 18.2 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 4 -- 3 to 5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3 -- 2 to 5.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

zrerz.
PlusNetFibreExtra
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Oct-14 18:32:10
Print Post

Something odd does seem to be going on. It is very unusual to be at or near the bottom of the "A" range unless there is a problem somewhere. This is way beyond the training and therefore competence of most first-line support staff.

Plusnet won't be directly lowering your speed. The "Current line speed" should be a fraction below the BT Wholesale IP Profile, so we need to check what that is.

Please could you run the BT Wholesale Performance Test, ignoring all the red instructions, and on the first results page click the Further diagnostics button.

Then copy and paste the contents of the down and up results text boxes. We don't need the graphics.

Were you given an HG612 or an ECI modem by the engineer?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 04-Oct-14 20:58:55
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

although I think the ac68 seems effectively a fixed version of the ac66, better cpu and better wifi signal.

But the ac66 and 66u seem very close price wise, so I am reasonably happy with what I have still.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Oct-14 12:59:22
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
although I think the ac68 seems effectively a fixed version of the ac66, better cpu and better wifi signal.
But the ac66 and 66u seem very close price wise, so I am reasonably happy with what I have still.

There is probably little in it. I gave my N66U to my parents and gambled on the AC68U solving my 5GHz dead spot, as 2.4GHz is essentially useless in my block of flats. Worked well smile

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Sun 05-Oct-14 16:56:17
Print Post

Results from BT wholesale speed tester:

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 44.45 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:

Upload Speed : 7.58 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

This is via a wired Ethernet connection from the current PlusNet Technicolor router to the PC, seems to show same results via wired or wireless.

I even tried changing the Openreach Modem, to the one I used at the old house, sadly, no difference.

Both modems are ECI.

Here is a speed test done via this site, if that helps anyone:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

This is lifted from PlusNet's member centre, just been on the phone to them, tell me I need to wait 10 days for line to go stable, so it's next weekend for me, here's what's listed:

Phone exchange:estimated line speed:66Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-10-01 16:11:24Current line speed:78 Mb

Just looked again at tickets raised, found this:

Dear Mr Jones,

**INTERNAL **
Fault Type Identified: EPP

Confirm you've advised the customer to complete the following:
- Leave equipment turned on: Y
- Complete BT Speedtester: Y

- Does the customer agree to the possible charge (£60): Y

Obtain:
- Mobile Number: 0**********
- Contact Times: 9-9
- Router Model: thomson

Other Notes:
- thosmon

Kind regards,

Ismail Rawat

No idea what is going on now, and certainly not agreed to £60 charge (whatever that's for)?

zrerz.
PlusNetFibreExtra

Edited by zrerz (Sun 05-Oct-14 18:06:01)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Oct-14 19:43:25
Print Post

I don't know what the EPP stands for, but it would be worth trying another BT Performance Test some time to see if it will go to the Further Diagnostics.

Have you registered on the Plusnet Community Forums? It might be worth while starting a thread there in the Broadband & Routers one. Higher level support look there a lot (Monday to Friday), but only occasionally here.

They are generally very good.

Re the £60, that is something they warn us of if we are getting an Openreach engineer visit. If the engineer finds no fault, or finds one your side of the modem, Openreach now charge the ISP well over £100. Most ISPs pass on that full charge. If there clearly is a fault that the engineer failed to find ISPs should challenge the finding and the charge. Then it's an ISP/Openreach dispute.

Unfortunately you can end up being charged in such circumstances if further visits still find nothing, but at least Plusnet only pass on part of it. Warning the customer of this possibility is something many ISPs do as a matter of course when calling out an engineer, otherwise they are on dodgy ground trying to pass it on. The internal note you quote is asking the initial rep to confirm this has been done.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Oct-14 20:32:19
Print Post

I don't know what the EPP stands for, but it would be worth trying another BT Performance Test some time to see if it will go to the Further Diagnostics.
EPP is End-User Poor Performance (from Plusnet blog]
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Oct-14 21:06:47
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

That's libellous!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Mon 13-Oct-14 16:44:11
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

sad to report, things are no better.

Had BT Openreach engineer out to house, and despite what PlusNet are telling me, that I can get 78 to 80Mbps, this guy tested the line, and the cabinet box, and reports a maximum speed of 46Mbps on my line?

Things still in the hands of PlusNet's 2nd tier team, but they have not responded, nor do they talk to customers, so, in limbo once more.

Should I ask for a MAC code, bearing in mind, PlusNet stuck me onto a new 24 month contract, on the promise of obtaining 66 to 76 Mbps at this new address, and can't seem to deliver?

Edit, just had PlusNet's 2nd tier team on the phone, and they seem to point finger at BT, but putting my number into www.bt.com/infinity just locks the page, so no details appear, either with or without phone number/post code, freezes on both.

I am waiting as I type this to hear from the PlusNet customer options team as to whether or not they will honour the terms of the contract, and since they can't provide what they agreed, to release me and supply a MAC code?

I'll update you all as I know more.

zrerz.
PlusNetFibreExtra

Edited by zrerz (Mon 13-Oct-14 17:42:31)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to