User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User craggs
(committed) Mon 13-Oct-14 19:29:17
Print Post

Looking to move across from sky,few questions please

[link to this post]

An old ex be* customer here who has BB with sky.

I'm looking to take advantage of the 40/20 deal,line rental and calls with the current £105 cashback.

I rang sky for my MAC code,they offerent me an exclusive deal,which turned out to be the online deal just rejigged ,,like the 40/20 fibre for just £10 pm then £20 for the remaining 6 which is £240 for the 18 months,the same as the free 6 month free offer.He even left me waiting 6 mins to get this,They lie so much it gets under my skin.

So I rang them back and told them no more offers and to give me my MAC,which they are doing now.

The main thing is the traffic management on plus-net,but in real terms how much with it effect me on the 38/20 package? I do torrent every week not a lot,but I don't want to be at at a stand still if my partner is streaming eastenders on iplayer or shopping for new shoes smile .I currently get 9.9mb now on sky,1.5mb less than I was on be.with a very poor 0.8mb upload.

Sky said that plus-nets management system could reduce me down to a lot less than I have now as they don't advertise what you could run at if they slow you down.I know this is partly sales,and I am not one to listen to sales techniques,but it has thrown a little doubt into an 18 months deal and not being able to torrent when I want to grab something.

Also my MAC might not be here untill 5 days maybe more with weekend,can I still sign upto plus-net as the top cach back ends in 6 days of £105.

Be Value 12mb was O2 Premium

Edited by craggs (Mon 13-Oct-14 19:30:13)

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Mon 13-Oct-14 19:54:37
Print Post

Re: Looking to move across from sky,few questions please

[re: craggs] [link to this post]

The Plusnet 'traffic shaping' should not cause problems with your p2p.

I signed up early with Plusnet to get cashback and then added my MAC later.
If you do this, ring up Plusnet service soon after registering the MAC online with Plusnet to make sure it is going through smoothly; sometimes their automated system does not quite register it right and the changeover goes into a sort of limbo.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User craggs
(committed) Mon 13-Oct-14 20:09:26
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Thanks.

It has been the sole reason I have not signed to plus-net for the last 6 months.

But I am struggling with things like cloud storage,0.8mb is just not enough to upload files these days.

I know its frowned upon torrenting/p2p but i need to be honest with what I need to use my connection for and if its suitable for my needs.Like I say I only torrent a little,anywhere from 1Gb to 10Gb a wk,I stream iplayer/demmand5 alot through nowTV.

I believe you can use a HH5 router with plusnet also,where as you have to stay with the sky hub

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Mon 13-Oct-14 22:47:38
Print Post

You can use the HH5. You can either (1) use it just as a router and still use the Openreach modem you will be provided with on Plusnet fibre install, or (2) ignore the Openreach modem and use the HH5 as modem/router.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Oct-14 23:00:01
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
You can use the HH5. You can either (1) use it just as a router and still use the Openreach modem you will be provided with on Plusnet fibre install, or (2) ignore the Openreach modem and use the HH5 as modem/router.

Or 3) use a better router with the open reach modem. Such as asus RT-AC68 smile

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Oct-14 00:25:58
Print Post

What are the FTTC estimates for your number or address? (Not the pure postcode!)

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User craggs
(committed) Tue 14-Oct-14 00:52:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Samknows shows 80max/min and up 20max/min.

inputting my number into plusnet they estimate 80mb.

The BT wholesale site shows 80/20min/max range A
and range b 80/70.5 Max/min and 20/19 Max/min

I would think I should get full on the 38/20 package, and should be enough for 2 of us.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Oct-14 02:22:29
Print Post

You have nothing to worry about then re what anyone does while you do your P2P smile.

It isn't throttled anyway. Just the Eastenders stream on "slow" connections is prioritised so that P2P doesn't make it unwatchable. Your line always gets basically the full speed less things like IP Profiling and other overheads.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Standard User craggs
(committed) Tue 14-Oct-14 02:32:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks,

Would you say the 38/20 would be enough? Or should I stretch to the 76/20

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Oct-14 02:46:19
Print Post

I assume in your opening post you mean 9.9 Megabits per second down and 0.8 Megabits per second up. Not MegaBytes.

If so, then 38/19Mbps is a dramatic improvement.

In any case you can upgrade to 78/19 at any time if you wish. You just do it in your Member Centre (think Control Panel) and it takes effect on your next billing date.

It means you restart your 18 months, but I did it 11 months into mine just for the hell of it at a difference of £2.50pm. See my connection speeds in my sig, I don't need the extra speed, but may do in the future I suppose.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to