User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 18-Oct-14 03:13:10
Print Post

Looking to move to Plus, just a couple of thoughts...

[link to this post]

Hi. Looking to move to Plus as my #1 choice for ISP (which is basically between BT and Plus now - moving from sky as keeping the line rental with BT).
Firstly the traffic management (which I think from what I've read is just QoS) shouldn't be an issue and shouldnt see speeds drop when only doing things like downloading or streaming etc?

Secondly...is Plus install still a full Openreach install with the engineer visiting, swapping faceplate etc?
I ask because the master socket is in another room at the other end of the house. The extention i use for the ADSL router...is not a very good one at all, the cable in one of the rooms is kinked and if it happens to get moved the connection drops out plus it's a very long daisy chain going from the master socket to 2 other sockets before it finally reaches me.
Since I'm waffling on a bit I'll get to the point...

If it's an engineer install, would said engineer run an extension from the faceplate to the room where I would like the modem to reside? (and possibly include a better run for a voice extension too for the sky box) I realise an extra run of copper wouldn't help line speeds at all but hey ho needs must.

Thanks in advance for any replies smile
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 18-Oct-14 08:48:33
Print Post

Re: Looking to move to Plus, just a couple of thoughts...

[re: NBK] [link to this post]

Usually an engineer install and they should run a data extension if you make that clear when you sign up. They won't drill any holes or run under carpets or anything else at all awkward.

A good alternative sometimes is to have the modem at the master socket and run an ethernet extension to the router where you want it. That needs power near the master and gives you a thicker cable, so maybe not appropriate for you.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 18-Oct-14 09:31:44
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Eh, is there no cleaner way to do that as other people in the house will 100% NOT want a kit like that run along skirting and door frames.
If the new faceplate actually has wire terminals for a data connection like this (click) can't they run an extension from that? I mean if it's actually there why would they not be able to...
I've also read online about people having the master socket relocated on install but I can't find out if that's ISP specific or not

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 18-Oct-14 10:04:40
Print Post

Those two connectors are where the data extension is run from, but it usually involves a new cable and with a higher twist rate that standard phone cable to make it less prone to noise pick up. CW1308 twisted pair (decent extension cable) can be used if necessary.

I mentioned decent as lots of people have the standard currys kits that are often low quality wiring less than ideal for VDSL2.

If you know what you are doing then nothing to stop you doing this after the install and then everything is done to fit in with your needs, rather than squeezed into a tight time window for a job.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 18-Oct-14 10:09:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So no it wouldn't be done on install...
I wouldn't do it myself because I'm neither good with ladders nor drills...the cabling is no problem itself (I've installed cat5e runs in large buildings and done events before now) but the actual running of the wire along the top half of the outside and then drilling through a wall...not for me...

And if i could find a 3rd party to do it...I'm thinking it would just be better to get BT to relocate the master socket into the other room prior to ordering FTTC (with hopefully new cabling) which i think I've read is £130...I'm not sure if that is the best option or not...any thoughts?

*Edit*
Ok yeah it isn't £130...it's £130 for engineer visit + £75 for a new socket (which i would need because the wiring for current socket is awful).
So...I phone up BT and asked. They said if i order BT Infinity 2 they can scrap the £130 charge and just have an extra £75 charge for the extra socket which will be converted to the master...OK...now I'll have to see if plusnet will offer the same!

*Edit 2*
Ok so no Plusnet won't do that. They can't take off the £130 charge for the engineer visit like BT can even though an engineer would already be there to install the FTTC. Sigh.

Edited by NBK (Sat 18-Oct-14 12:43:23)

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-Oct-14 11:06:13
Print Post

Ethernet cable isn't too much thicker that a naff extension cable and can be over painted.

If people want better connections then a little compromise is required.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 18-Oct-14 11:07:33
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Compromise isn't an option when you don't own the property yourself.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-Oct-14 11:11:25
Print Post

But you spoke about not drilling holes yourself. This intimated that you would if you were confident of doing so. No mention of permission required.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 18-Oct-14 11:13:11
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

All I'm saying is looking to find a soltion that doesnt involve exposed wiring inside the house. Outside the house is no problem (as evidenced by numerous dual cable satellite leads and TV aerials around the outside but hey ho)
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 18-Oct-14 14:48:09
Print Post

Ok yeah I think the solution at the moment is to give up and not bother!

BT would want £205 for a new extension + relocating master socket to said extension. (Don't even know if it would be internal or external wiring).

BT don't seem to put in extension sockets like they used to do on an install (we have got a new line with 2 extra sockets on install 15 years ago but now they say you'd have to get the line setup first and then £280 for 2 extra sockets even though an engineer would already be on site installing the line!)

I could be cheeky, get a new phone line installed where my current extension is (with the really bad wiring) and just re-use that extension wire back to the other extensions for things like sky boxes after cancelling the first line...but there's various reasons why I wouldn't do that such as losing that phone number).

Final option is to get the FTTC installed to the current master socket and try get somebody to run an external cat5 cable or other from the VDSL pins in the socket to a new RJ45 socket where i want the router to go. But i don't know if I'd trust a 3rd party to install the cable into the master socket without damaging the wires that are already there. It's happened before and had to get a BT engineer out to repair the cable to the extension (we were not pleased, they really gouged out the original extension cable!)

...yeah it's a headache
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to