User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Computerman142
(member) Wed 29-Oct-14 21:04:21
Print Post

Thinking of joining from TalkTalk Fibre

[link to this post]

Hi

I have been thinking about joining Plusnet on there 40/20 FTTC package for a while now but not so sure anymore due to failed fibre installations and poor support. As TalkTalk plan to increase their prices yet again in December, it will be £6-7 cheaper for slightly better speed (upload) with Plusnet.

Are Plusnet still going down hill in support or are they improving? I have seen less complaints but still not sure after reading review of bad support and failed fibre migrations on other sites.

If I do decide to go with Plusnet what will I need to do? Will i need a Mac code to switch from LLU to BT based? Does I need a pointless engineer visit just for them to go when they arrive? What will happen on the day and during the switchover process as i haven't changed bb provider for ages and especially not fibre to fibre? Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL Cabinet 6

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC estimated 40/2 - Currently getting 25Mbps/2Mbps on an interleaved FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Wed 29-Oct-14 21:46:31
Print Post

Re: Thinking of joining from TalkTalk Fibre

[re: Computerman142] [link to this post]

I think Plusnet are over the worst of support issues. I suspect the failed installations were mainly down to Openreach and not Plusnet, though Plusnet aren't always good at communication.

Migration from BT fibre didn't need a pointless engineer visit. I don't know if it would be different for LLU; I suspect no visit needed but not sure about the MAC.

If you are going to move, check Plusnet direct cashback and also cashback sites.

I'm pleased with my move to Plusnet 40/20 so far.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Oct-14 22:08:53
Print Post

The support is fine once you get through to someone, but getting hold of first-line appears still to be a pain.

Reps used to visit these forums several times a week and were excellent. Since a reorganisation a few months ago to "improve" support a couple of times a fortnight looks to be more the norm frown. I think the sledge-hammer of an ex-BT boss could be to blame. BT appear to have this strange attitude that reacting helpfully in a public forum gives a bad impression, and that customers should only air their problems in in-house ones.

Of course, with a forum as well-established and respected as this, exactly the opposite is true. We used to be able to trumpet how good the reps were. Now we can't, and doubts like yours arise.

I rarely visit the in-house one so can't comment about there, but in the good days there would be a few reps posting each day.

Failed installations? I see them here for every ISP that I monitor, and the volume does of course have to be linked to the number of installations for each. Successful ones rarely post.

Re the MAC, if you are on full LLU with TT then it is not required. It does need careful handling by Plusnet though as a simultaneous switch of line and broadband doesn't seem to be in their computerised ordering system. We normally recommend getting one of the reps to monitor the order, immediately after placing it.

I think they have Sky sussed, I'm not sure about TT. I believe the safest way back from full LLU is to BT Retail - hmmm frown. I don't recall any recent problems with TT >> Plusnet transfers, but I've no idea how many take place so can't judge.

No engineer visit is required as long as you already have an Openreach modem with a separate router. If you have one of the more recent TT combo modem/routers you either need to be able to change the login details to Plusnet's, or obtain something like a BT HomeHub 5, or have an engineer visit to fit an Openreach modem. Plusnet do not so far as I know do self-installs yet.

I can't remember my switch from IDNet FTTC to Plusnet FTTC, but it was painless. My phone was and is with BT Retail. I did get messages about an engineer visit, but rang up and was assured none was needed. None turned up.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Wed 29-Oct-14 22:29:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you StephenTodd and RobertoS for the replies

I full LLU with TalkTalk, how would i go about getting a rep to monitor the situation would this be something i need to tell Plusnet on the forums after sign up or do you tell them during the sign up?

Yes I have an unlocked HG612 with a HG533 talktalk router, not the combined one. I was going to get a new one but didn't in the end as this one does what i need it to do.

My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL Cabinet 6

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC estimated 40/2 - Currently getting 25Mbps/2Mbps on an interleaved FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Oct-14 23:21:34
Print Post

I would be worried about getting an experienced knowledgeable person or a newbie if signing up by phone. On the Plusnet Community forum straight after signup may be the best idea.

You certainly don't need an engineer then. Is the TT router OK for changing the username and password? Even if it is I usually recommend taking the Plusnet 582n as a spare, for the cost of the P & P. Then at some stage make it connect, to ensure it is working.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
(member) Thu 30-Oct-14 10:21:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No i will be singing up on the web don't want to be on the phone forever, i like to see everything in the order. I will do that, thanks

I think the TT router is ok for changing usernames and passwords but mine I think is on IPoE currently, could be wrong haven't been on it for a while been going on HG612 instead. Yes I plan to take 582n as a spare, I have also been thinking of getting a BT Home Hub 4r that can be used with all ISP's for £50, because I recently went away and there was a HH4 in the holiday cottage and I must say the WiFi signal has been excellent 5 bars on the laptop around the whole house even with thick walls, I thought the adverts on TV were marketing tosh but it is true the signal is brilliant much better than the HG533 and I thought that was pretty good.

MYSEL Cabinet 6

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 31-Oct-14 10:25:07
Print Post

in my opinion no, I am considering upgrading to business so I get fast call answer times, but I plan to ask them if business users also get decent ticket answer times as well.

The issues with migrations (which seem to be limited to ex infinity users) are still happening and the calls in queue are not improving on residential tech support.

On the other hand if you do have a line fault, plusnet are probably 2nd best only to aaisp in dealing with it. They seem to be ok with pushing BT/openreach and in a worse case scenario if a fee is raised plusnet take some of the hit and do not pass on the full cost.

ISP Representative LinnPlusnet
(isp) Fri 31-Oct-14 11:32:40
Print Post

Hi there Computerman142,

Glad to hear you're thinking of joining us!

Don't know if you've already done so but signing up to our Community Forums is advisable if you require support directly from Plusnet staff as they are prioritised over other Forums.

Based on what you've said in this thread I would advise that you do not require a MAC Code to migrate and we shouldn't need to send an engineer to the property if you already have a filtered faceplate and BT modem. If you'd like to, feel free to send me a PM on here or get in touch with us on the Plusnet Community Forums if you'd like us to check this after your order is placed. If you don't require an internal visit you'll still get an engineer's appointment as this will be the appointment for the engineer to attend to complete the external work for the switchover.

Hope this clears things up for you a bit. Like I said, any questions feel free to get in touch!

Regards,

Linn Karstrom
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to