User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PhotoFiend
(regular) Tue 11-Nov-14 11:26:44
Print Post

Can I use my own router with Plusnet Fibre?

[link to this post]

Hi Plusnetters

I'm thinking of moving from BT to Plusnet, I just wanted to check, can I use my own router with them?

From their website I can see it says you need a 'compatible router', but doesn't say what they support.

Mine is an Asus RT-N66U

Thanks.
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Tue 11-Nov-14 11:29:58
Print Post

Re: Can I use my own router with Plusnet Fibre?

[re: PhotoFiend] [link to this post]

As long as the router can handle the type of connection you're on (ADSL or FTTC) then you should be fine. There are definitely a few current customers using that router as they've talked about it on our community site.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User nickt
(newbie) Tue 11-Nov-14 12:15:09
Print Post

[re: PhotoFiend] [link to this post]

I'm using an Asus DSL-N16U on Plusnet, works fine, better by miles than the supplied Technicolor one.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PhotoFiend
(regular) Tue 11-Nov-14 12:32:53
Print Post

[re: nickt] [link to this post]

Thank you both for the posts, that's excellent news.

I'm currently using it with BT FTTC so it should be fine! laugh
Standard User rockdoctor
(learned) Sun 16-Nov-14 21:25:30
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

I'm considering upgrading from the freebie technicolor router to the Asus one for the better wifi I have heard about.
My Victorian house is full of internal walls that were constructed from steel slag waste - with high metal content on the blocks you can imagine how well wifi gets around.
The technicolor is no worse than the Sky box I had before, and is adequate for my purposes, but I'd like better.

I bought some 500 Mbps powerline plugs plus wifi, but the best they gave was only about 5Mbps. The same for the free Sky wifi repeater. I gave up on all of them and just put up with a few dead zones around the house.

Do you think the Asus would do a better job in my circumstances?
I understand that wifi strength is limited by the standard (and by law?) so they all put out the same in mW, but maybe using better aerials or something?

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sun 16-Nov-14 21:44:33
Print Post

[re: rockdoctor] [link to this post]

If you want a router with significantly better range and signal strength than the Asus RT-N66U , then go for the Asus' latest flagship router Asus RT-AC87U which is arguably the best router out there currently. Not cheap, but like with many things in life, you get what you pay for...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-RT-AC87U-Wireless-Broad...

http://www.alternate.co.uk/ASUS/RT-AC87U/html/produc...

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps
Powered by Asus RT-AC87R
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Nov-14 21:45:55
Print Post

Have you thought of adding a WAP to use in conjunction with the one in the router? It needs to be connected to the router by Ethernet, but depending on your building layout you may be able to locate it somewhere where it helps a lot. Even if it's only the other end of the room the router is in.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Nov-14 22:57:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by rockdoctor:
Do you think the Asus would do a better job in my circumstances?
I understand that wifi strength is limited by the standard (and by law?) so they all put out the same in mW, but maybe using better aerials or something?

Yes, I would recommend the new 4 antenna Asus in your situation. I don't know the Plusnet technicolor but many ISP free routers (apart from the BT HomeHub 5) are made to a price, which means they only have one or two antennas inside the box.

The Asus has 4 physically external antennas which are used for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals. This supports G and N at 2.4, and N and AC at 5ghz. The extra antennas means that when signals bounce, there is more chance of collecting enough to make a usable signal. (MIMO).

The Asus RT-AC87U would plug directly into a BT FTTC box, but if you are on ADSL you would need a DSL- router, and I don't yet see an 87 version for ADSL.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-RT-AC87U-Wireless-Broad...

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Mon 17-Nov-14 10:12:16
Print Post

Try to avoid extension leads with Powerlines, and absolutely avoid surge protected extension leads.

One curiosity I found with Powerlines is that they behave much worse if plugged into one half of a twin socket with your computer equipment in the other half (eg via surge protected extension) . This is a natural setup to keep ethernet cables short and tidy. Just move the powerline to another socket in the same room/same ring and it will work much better. I didn't believe this when I first read it on a post on the BT forum, but tried it and it made a huge difference. If I remember correctly I went from around 20Mbps to around 80Mbps using 500Mbps powerlines; that is over some pretty old wiring and between two consumer boxes in different parts of the house.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User rockdoctor
(learned) Mon 17-Nov-14 12:25:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Have you thought of adding a WAP to use in conjunction with the one in the router? It needs to be connected to the router by Ethernet, but depending on your building layout you may be able to locate it somewhere where it helps a lot. Even if it's only the other end of the room the router is in.

That sounds interesting. I didn't know about WAPs. I have an old O2 router that may be configurable as a WAP. I'll look into it.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to