User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BarkingMad
(newbie) Mon 08-Dec-14 20:25:55
Print Post

Install question

[link to this post]

My Dad is moving to PN FTTC from TalkTalk (AOL).

He has a typical install at the moment. Master socket in the hall, with extension to spare bedroom where it connects to the router.

We've ordered a Data Extension Kit at the time of ordering. Am I correct that the kit connects as follows;

Master -> Data Extension -> Fibre Modem -> Router

This config would allow FM and Router to be located in the bedroom.

Alternatively, I suppose it may be an option to reroute the wire from the pole to a master in the bedroom - but I guess this would not be part of the install.

Alternatively could some magic be done with the existing wiring between the hall and the bedroom to make the master be in the bedroom.

I've attempted to find the answer by searching but sometime it is difficult to see the wood for the trees.

Thanks in advance.

BM.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 08-Dec-14 21:24:04
Print Post

Re: Install question

[re: BarkingMad] [link to this post]

You are correct in your description of the normal usage of the Data Extension Kit.

Would it end up looking yucky if done that way? It is possible to get the kit routed externally if the engineer thinks it would be OK.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Mon 08-Dec-14 21:40:01
Print Post

You will also need one (or two) mains sockets where router/modem is located.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Tam
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Dec-14 11:24:20
Print Post

But why would you want boxes of flashing lights lighting up your bedroom every night .... ?

Tam

Powered By PlusNet (again!) FTTC @ 78Mpbs smile
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Dec-14 11:32:10
Print Post

[re: Tam] [link to this post]

It's a spare bedroom.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Dec-14 12:39:27
Print Post

[re: Tam] [link to this post]

That might be an embarrassing personal question. tongue

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Dec-14 14:30:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It could just be that it's Christmas time and therefore people go mad about flashing lights - even red ones.
Standard User BarkingMad
(newbie) Tue 09-Dec-14 14:43:14
Print Post

Thanks RobertoS and G3UZF,

RobertoS, you are correct it would end up looking "yucky".

The current voice extn is routed under the floor (we can walk in ther cellar - access through a trap door), through a box containing heating pipes and up into the spare room. It would be great if the BTOR / Quinn / Kelly engineer could route the cable in the same way as part of the installation - but I think this may be asking too much - or is it? What should we expect the engineer to do? Would moving the master socket upstairs be too much?

I considered routing the cable outside but I wasn't sure it was exterior / weatherproof grade. Plus it would require holes from hall to outside and then inside with ladders. Weather is not great later this week and therefore it probably won't be a favourable option for the engineer.

If the engineer won't route as per the voice extn, we will probably ask him to leave it on the surface until I can visit and re-route the cable.

Thanks

BarkingMad.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Dec-14 18:06:38
Print Post

Because you have ordered the Data Extension Kit, some engineers will happily re-site the master to where the extension now is, using the existing cabling. This could result in an "impacted" VDSL2 service as per the Impacted line on the BT Wholesale estimates. (If the phone number isn't recognised, use the address option. Do not use the pure postcode option).

Alternatively get the engineer to install the cable, then if you can route (decent quality) CAT 5 the same way as the existing extension just connect it to replace the Data Extension one and all should be good. I very much doubt however that any engineer will run the data extension cable without clipping it to skirting boards etc., and would any drilling be needed?

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 09-Dec-14 18:08:01)

Standard User BarkingMad
(newbie) Tue 09-Dec-14 19:34:12
Print Post

Thanks RobertoS,

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 79.8 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 70.2 20 17.7 -- Available

I don't think we need to worry about the "impacted figures". It will be a great improvement over the 1.5 Dad is currently receiving.

If the engineer re-sites the master using the existing cable, would there stil lbe voice connections/ services downstairs and upstairs?

I'm a bit confused about your comment re CAT5. I thought the Data Extn was RJ11 (possibly hardwired to the master). Are you saying use CAT5 with RJ11 connections?

If the engineer insists on stapling then I can see modem and router being temporary located downstairs, using the Data Extn and then when he leaves the Data Extn cable will be unrolled and kit located upstairs. We don't want a permanent Yucky look!

Thanks for your help.

BM.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to