User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spectator
(regular) Sat 13-Dec-14 12:36:41
Print Post

Fibre 40/20 upload speeds

[link to this post]

I migrated across to the 40/20 product last week.

Generally, my download speed tests are consistently in the 35-38Mbps as expected. However, my upload doesn't seem to get above 10Mbps.

Does anyone else find their uploads limited. My router stats are:

Up Stream
20000 (Kbps)
SNR Upstream
15 (0.1dB)

Down Speed
74912 (Kbps)
SNR Downstream
6 (0.1dB)

Anyone have any suggestions as to why upload seeds are down? Is this just general contention or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Dec-14 14:50:13
Print Post

Re: Fibre 40/20 upload speeds

[re: spectator] [link to this post]

Wired or wireless connection to the router?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 13-Dec-14 18:23:52
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I get the full upload speed on Plusnet 40/20; a bit above 18.5Mbps actual throughput.

Upload speeds seem to vary more than download with different speedtesters. I have found the ThinkBroadband speedtester to be the most accurate; it gives the highest results which tally with the best results I get to good real sites.

If you are using the openreach modem and have it unlocked, turning off QoS adds around 1 to 1.5Mbps to upload.

Wrong MTUs can cause poor upload speeds. These days most systems seem capable of getting that right automatically, but if you have got some older equipment or equipment (computer or router) you have manually changed MTU it could be the cause.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Davey_H
(newbie) Sat 13-Dec-14 19:10:28
Print Post

[re: spectator] [link to this post]

I downgraded from 80/20 to 40/20 a couple of months ago and still get full speed (a little over 18.5 Mbps throughput as above)

Edited by Davey_H (Sat 13-Dec-14 19:12:06)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Dec-14 21:34:31
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

The effect of the 40/20 product is clear from our speed test analysis

Should mention the differences in the downstream are mainly down to the popularity or not of the faster speeds up to 76 Mbps affecting the median.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Dec-14 22:39:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Upload and options such as static IP are the big features the FTTC ISPs have over Virgin media 's DOCSIS network. The annoying thing is those who don't get 10mbps upload like myself. smile

My friends on cable have higer download (eg 60) but only 2 or 3 up. Even those with 120mbps download only get 5mbps up. I wonder if plusnet have done the studies of percentage of customers who get more than 40download. Given quality of copper, interference and the impact of rain, my line ranges from 45 to 51 usable throughput. Cable is more consistent.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User spectator
(regular) Sun 14-Dec-14 15:14:16
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

I tested speeds using both wireless and wired connections which didn't seem to make a significant difference in the speeds. I also tried a number of different speed test and did find there were differences between them. However, the best was still aorund 10Mbps (the worst being about 5Mbps) and so I put that down to tester inaccuracies.

I'm using a Draytek 2860 router with MTU set at 1442. I don't have an Openreach router.

On connectiopn, I was surprised that I would find issues on the upload more than the download. I wondered if there might be line profiles restricting the speed, as obviously there is on the download to differentiate between the 80 and 40 down products.
  Print Thread

Jump to