User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Skilty
(learned) Sun 14-Dec-14 09:09:59
Print Post

Cable Move - Not Happy!!

[link to this post]

So I ask plusnet to relocate the master socket from the back of the house to the front. I am very specific that I want the cable from pole to master socket replaced and not spliced. First appointment engineer just doesn't show up, that is down to BT OR.

The second visit I get a Kelly engineer who tells me he can't replace the cable only BT are allowed to do that.

I raise a ticket with plusnet asking them to review the call recordings as on three separate calls I specifically stated that I wanted the cable replaced.

They have now closed the ticket with the same stock answer three times, it must be booked directly with BT.

This begs the question as to why they were happy to take my £160 to re-locate the cable but couldn't tell me at that point about the replacing the cable. The plusnet guy even went as far as to say tell the engineer exactly what you need and I understand you want the cable replaced!

Anybody know if I have any recourse on this at all? I asked them to review recordings of conversations.

Cheers

Skilty

plusnet Unlimited Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 72.76/17.56Mbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Dec-14 10:33:47
Print Post

Re: Cable Move - Not Happy!!

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

The relocation of the master socket is fairly easy, but demanding a new drop wire is beyond what you get for standard from the relocation, unless an obvious reason for doing so as part of the re-location.

If paying voice line rental to PlusNet then its all down to how PlusNet liase with BT, and the above should really have been pointed out.

If the existing cable from the pole is testing fine and no safety reason for not re-using it then not sure where you stand.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Skilty
(learned) Sun 14-Dec-14 12:13:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I asked for the cable to be replaced as the people adjacent to us had building working and the builders were treating it like a catapult so figured I wanted it moved anyway so would ask to have it replaced. Once moved it would not interfere or run over next doors property.

Will try plusnet again as I would have paid for the replacement at the same time they moved it.

plusnet Unlimited Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 72.76/17.56Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Dec-14 12:52:43
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

You have paid for a master socket relocation, a request to change a drop wire at customer request is a custom price and would only be free if there was a detectable fault on it. That is the nub of your issue.

If the builders damage the wire they are liable for the rectification costs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheEulerID
(regular) Sun 14-Dec-14 18:31:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Also, moving a dropwire is a relatively expensive job. It will take two engineers and is likely to need a "cherrypicker". It's certainly not going to be covered under the price of moving a master socket.

Builders who do work that requires movement of a drop wire, either permanently or temporarily are, I believe, meant to deal with Openreach direct.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/custo...

I'm not sure what happens if it's a private individual though.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-Dec-14 18:45:29
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Could he express concern about the builders actions to OR via that link?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 14-Dec-14 18:46:00)

Standard User TheEulerID
(regular) Sun 14-Dec-14 19:05:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If he goes to the "Tell us who you are" part, there is contact information for how owners (and people doing their own work). There's also a "tell us something" link as well. I think that was what I used when I noticed the cover had fallen off a junction box up a pole.

So it does appear there are ways for people to contact OR, but first port of call would still be your SP I would think, but I will make a guess that most of them aren't well suited to handling and billing bespoke work.

(nb. it does look like a home owner can directly contract with OR to move internal wiring - who knew that?).
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Dec-14 17:40:46
Print Post

moving a dropwire is a relatively expensive job. It will take two engineers and is likely to need a "cherrypicker"

No, not really, most dropwires are installed by a singleton engineer. Hoists are used on an 'as required' basis.

I do agree that what the OP is requesting is above and beyond a simple shift of NTE.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Dec-14 22:13:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by TheEulerID:
Also, moving a dropwire is a relatively expensive job. It will take two engineers and is likely to need a "cherrypicker". It's certainly not going to be covered under the price of moving a master socket.
I'd agree it's not part of the master socket relocation however it certainly doesn't mandate the use of 2 engineers or a cherrypicker. My dropwire runs across a main road and was replaced by a single bloke with a ladder in about half an hour.

===
Sorry looks like I inadvertently duplicated info already given by responding before reading the entire thread.

Edited by kwikbreaks (Sat 20-Dec-14 22:15:59)

Print Thread

Jump to