User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sallust
(learned) Mon 29-Dec-14 13:35:46
Print Post

Can only dial out using pulse dialing

[link to this post]

OK, so I know this does not relate to broadband, but I am with Plusnet for my phone line and I couldn't find a more appropriate forum.

The problem is I cannnot make phone calls except by using pulse dialing. This problem arose some time between 23 and 26 December. I have tried two different phones, and the master socket (but not the test socket, as I am moving house soon and have packed up my screwdrivers). When trying tone dialing, the dial tone cannot be interrupted.

I called Plusnet, but a line test did not reveal any problems. Broadband appears unaffected.

I don't want to leave a problem for the buyer of my property. What could be happening?

Pipex > Freedom2Surf > ADSL24 (Entanet) > O2 > Plusnet (FTTC)
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Dec-14 21:26:52
Print Post

Re: Can only dial out using pulse dialing

[re: sallust] [link to this post]

You seem to have ruled out the obvious issue, your phones. It really would be worthwhile trying at the test socket.

Very, very occasionally this fault can be due to faulty exchange PSTN equipment.

If this persists, get PN to raise a CDTA task.

Standard User sallust
(learned) Mon 29-Dec-14 22:01:13
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thank you. OK, so I coaxed open the faceplate of the master socket with an electric screwdriver bit I found in a drawer, and indeed the test socket is working normally. So I suppose my internal wiring is at fault - fantastic timing for this to go wrong!

Maybe my buyer, when he gets a broadband installation, can get the engineer to fix this. Do you think that an FTTC installation engineer is likely to be able to do that, if prompted to investigate?

Edited by sallust (Mon 29-Dec-14 22:01:39)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TMCR
(member) Mon 29-Dec-14 22:16:39
Print Post

Extension wiring ? Something you unplugged recently ? Possible that you had something plugged in that isn't there now and removing the plug has caused a short on the extension wiring - borne out by the fact that the master works OK.

Virgin Cable (50/3) + EE Mobile BB
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Dec-14 22:51:20
Print Post

Do you think that an FTTC installation engineer is likely to be able to do that, if prompted to investigate?

MOST unlikely.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 30-Dec-14 07:43:19
Print Post

And to reinforce Zarjaz's response, FTTC is moving rapidly towards being "self install", without any "home visits".

-------------------------

It could be that you end up having to pay the new owner for any costs to repair, as you are clearly (and publicly) aware of the problem.

My daughter is a para-legal on house sales; and occasionally mentions that such aspects can follow on from a wide range of problems.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Dec-14 09:20:39
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

As long as the issue is revealed to the purchaser before exchange of contracts issues shouldn't arise. It may be that the purchaser insist that it is fixed by the vendor.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 30-Dec-14 09:45:45
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Agreed fully.

Unfortunately, it seems likely that it only came to light after the Exchange of Contracts, given the packing of tools etc.
Standard User partial
(committed) Tue 30-Dec-14 12:49:22
Print Post

This can be caused by a short circuit on the bell circuit terminals 3 and 5.
Standard User sallust
(learned) Tue 30-Dec-14 13:22:27
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TMCR:
Extension wiring ? Something you unplugged recently ? Possible that you had something plugged in that isn't there now and removing the plug has caused a short on the extension wiring - borne out by the fact that the master works OK.

I only have one DECT base station plugged in to an extension socket, and also the FTTC modem at the master socket.
In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Agreed fully.

Unfortunately, it seems likely that it only came to light after the Exchange of Contracts, given the packing of tools etc.

Indeed, we have exchanged, so I think technically it is no longer my problem, but clearly I would be embarrassed to leave things in poor condition.

In reply to a post by partial:
This can be caused by a short circuit on the bell circuit terminals 3 and 5.

OK, I will stare at the wiring and hope for divine inspiration.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to