User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sun 11-Jan-15 15:16:45
Print Post

First week impressions of Plusnet fibre.

[link to this post]

Firstly, ping times are fantastic. Can't fault them there.

Secondly...when it's fast, it's really fast.
But when it's not...it's annoyingly slow. Especially for the speed it should be running at.

So I know about the traffic management on Plusnet (in my mind prioritisation is still managing your traffic wink) and from what I've read it relates to your own individual connection i.e. if you're torrenting or something and go for an HTTP download or a youtube stream, the HTTP/youtube will get prioritised over the torrent which will get slowed.

Is this prioritisation actually just relating to your own connection or is it network wide?

I can run a speed test and see basically max speeds. Go to download via some P2P protocol and see it start at 6+MB/s and then quickly slow down to 2-3MB/s or even as low as 1MB/s. The fact it started off at a high speed shows the bandwidth is availble but the fact it got throttled (or slowed) shows some sort of traffic management in progress. This is when there are no other bandiwdth utilising applications running on the PC.

And just to prove to myself that there was plenty of bandwidth available, I start a 10GB HTTP download from the same server and it gets 7.8-8.8MB/s.

http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimi... implies that the prioritisation relates only to what is actually happening on your own line but that does not at all seem to be the case.

So in all I'm not as happy with Plusnet as I was hoping I would be...the slowdown I see using it when I actually want to use it in the evenings (and apparently weekend) just isn't good enough for me. If I could connect to the FTP server and just use that it'd be fine but that isn't do able in the real world.

I guess I have 18 months to see how it goes and hope things improve for me :/

Currently Plusnet "80/20" FTTC...Not overly impressed at the moment :|
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Jan-15 18:42:36
Print Post

Re: First week impressions of Plusnet fibre.

[re: NBK] [link to this post]

The question was asked very soon after that blog was published. The prioritisation is also across the network. Logically it needs to be, for the VOIP etc.

The slowing down you are seeing is recent and is not supposed to happen. A few get it, most don't. There's a thread either in this forum or Fibre Broadband with Chrysalis for one in it and I think IgnitionNet, and there is at least one over on the Community forums. I suggest you join in, as the more reporting the symptom the more chance of finding the cause.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Jan-15 23:02:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My issues are different and relate to a lack of capacity somewhere along the chain rather than traffic management. All traffic is suffering equally and pings are being dropped.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Jan-15 23:58:09
Print Post

I spent a few days with an old friend away from home, they had PlusNet fibre. I noticed the exact symptoms described in the original post, this was around Birmingham. I did give it a little 'whirl' to test how the traffic management worked. This was around 2 weeks ago.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 12-Jan-15 00:05:10
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Birmingham? Surely not

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Jan-15 00:27:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

On the outskirts of Birmingham in a remote-ish area, but yes.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 12-Jan-15 08:26:35
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I only mention it due to this, completely off-topic #FoxNewsFacts

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Mon 12-Jan-15 09:44:40
Print Post

[re: NBK] [link to this post]

Hmmm, Don't sound great,

That will surely have a bit of an off putting impact when I make a decision for FTTC soon!

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
VirginMedia 152/12 OVERUTILIZED - BQM - SpeedTest - It's The Final Countdown!
Plusnet 3776/640 - BQM - SpeedTest
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Mon 12-Jan-15 12:05:58
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I only mention it due to this, completely off-topic #FoxNewsFacts

Oh just got that laugh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30773297

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
VirginMedia 152/12 OVERUTILIZED - BQM - SpeedTest - It's The Final Countdown!
Plusnet 3599/864 - BQM - SpeedTest
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Mon 12-Jan-15 21:15:39
Print Post

Is it the "Any capacity issues?" thread on the plusnet community forums?
8 pages since the end of december and doesnt really seem to be getting anywhere :|

Currently Plusnet "80/20" FTTC...Not overly impressed at the moment :|
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to