User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User beardedwonder
(member) Mon 12-Jan-15 16:52:58
Print Post

How many disconnections are normal on FTTC?

[link to this post]

I am currently experiencing about one disconnection per day, it usually reconnects straight away. I rang customer services today who said that one disconnection per day is within the normal range and anything below ten wouldn't be regarded by them as a problem.

The CS rep said that all the lines stats looked fine syncing at 66Mbps and 16Mbps, so are these disconnections normal?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Jan-15 17:27:13
Print Post

Re: How many disconnections are normal on FTTC?

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

1 per day is relatively unusual, but probably not to be considered a fault as such.

If its around the same time each day, then consider looking for a source of radio noise in the home.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Mon 12-Jan-15 20:42:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
1 per day is relatively unusual, but probably not to be considered a fault as such.

If its around the same time each day, then consider looking for a source of radio noise in the home.

It doesn't seem to disconnect at a regular time. It makes connecting through a dynamic DNS more difficult though!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Jan-15 21:09:42
Print Post

Which ISP? (Some supply static IP addresses quite cheaply, others charge a ridiculous amount).

Edit - D'oh! Plusnet of course. A one-off £5 for a static IP address.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 13-Jan-15 00:17:56)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Jan-15 21:17:25
Print Post

Well i wouldn't be happy if my connection was dropping once a week, and IMO it's not normal for an adsl connection to disconnect every day let alone a vdsl based connection, to me it's an indication of some type of line fault, maybe one that will develop over time, unless it's down to end user hardware being faulty or the power brick that it draws power from
(member) Mon 12-Jan-15 23:00:30
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Well i wouldn't be happy if my connection was dropping once a week, and IMO it's not normal for an adsl connection to disconnect every day let alone a vdsl based connection, to me it's an indication of some type of line fault, maybe one that will develop over time, unless it's down to end user hardware being faulty or the power brick that it draws power from

I thought that this was too much, I might try the original plusnet router to at least eliminate that as a problem.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Jan-15 00:16:08
Print Post

Make sure you use the right power plug for whatever router you use.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Jan-15 00:19:32
Print Post

Oops. Re my earlier post about static IP addresses, I've edited it - in case all else fails at least it solves the DynDNS issue. You shouldn't even need to use it.

Standard User jroadley
(regular) Tue 13-Jan-15 03:34:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I had this for about a week, and put it down to work being done at the exchange.

I did raise a ticket with BT (I have Infinity) and they monitored my line for a few days - but no change in setup and it just went away - no drop in speed.

Been up weeks now.
Standard User longedge
(member) Tue 13-Jan-15 08:58:16
Print Post

As far as I can tell my disconnections are always during the early hours, presumably when load balancing takes place. Over the last few months I reckon my average would be about 3 to 4 days uptime (varies between around 14 to 1 day)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to