User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tam
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Jan-15 19:25:38
Print Post

Fascicle PlusNet traffic shaping again

[link to this post]

So, remember when Fibre unlimited first came out and PlusNet tried for months to tell everyone that although there was traffic shaping it was for our own good and all our traffic would be treated as gold, no matter what it was you would be able to go full speed on any protocol but if and only if your _own_ line was being utilised for multiple usages, then that traffic would be shaped, therefore if someone was watching iPlayer and someone was downloading a torrent, the torrent would be slowed for the greater good of the iPlayer stream ..

Step forward 1 year, and a speed test will show full 78Mb speed tests, yet Usenet is less than 10Mb, torrent is 13Mb and an apple iOS upgrade is 22Mb .... switch back to a speedtest and boom 78Mb...

Why why why is this happening, no one else in the house, nothing else going on, line is obviously capable of achieving full speed as the speed test results show ...

So yet again the PlusNet traffic shaping that will *not* affect my traffic is indeed affecting my traffic. frown

The above was on gateway - pcl-bng01

I've now disconnected and reconnected to gateway ptw-bng01 - and all is fine everything is full speed .. but why am I having to jump gateways to find a good one?? Not good at all PlusNet not good....

Tam

Powered By PlusNet (again!) FTTC @ 78Mpbs smile
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 21-Jan-15 19:31:25
Print Post

Re: Fascicle PlusNet traffic shaping again

[re: Tam] [link to this post]

something weird is currently going on, but not sure what yet tho.

Without a doubt is currently some bad endpoints but is unclear if the cause is plusnet or BTw.

Also before christmas, I found if single threaded tested fast, then it reflected real world performance, now I can speedtest at full speed (after hopping to get good endpoint) but certian types of usage are slower when they previously were not. However this could be down to peering/transit issues, never easy to diagnose without full info.

PSN has always been slow tho, I only get linespeed via a proxy. I think xbox live is also slow, but since moving to plusnet I have not done any large downloads on xbox live so am not sure on that one.

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Wed 21-Jan-15 19:34:28
Print Post

[re: Tam] [link to this post]

The fact that your speed is going back to normal after jumping gateway makes it *very* unlikely to be traffic management. Knowing how this is set on the Unlimited accounts, I'm confident that traffic management is not the cause of your issues.

I'm going to pass the information on about the gateways you were connected to through to our team here for more investigation.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Jan-15 19:54:21
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

investigation's into peak time issues that range from a visible increased latency & jitter on the ping monitors to packet loss and reduced throughput single threaded in particular,Have been ongoing for far too long and as yet no conclusive answer's i have seen single threads lower than 10mbps which is very poor, Why should any one have to repeatedly swap gateways ?

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 21-Jan-15 19:58:16)

Standard User Tam
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Jan-15 12:02:41
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Chris i disagree, it is network management that is the cause.

I'd suggest the overall gateway is congested, thus the overall gateway network management is having to apply shaping to certain protocols to ensure that there is sufficient bandwidth is available to things that need it.

If it was congestion without network management then *everything* would have been slow, but a speed test showing full speeds, whilst other services showing a slowdown (even http for usenet) shows that its network management causing this.

Tam