User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User barker04
(regular) Wed 11-Feb-15 18:14:52
Print Post

NowTV Quality

[link to this post]

Noticing that when watching NowTV that the quality is often quite bad. If I do a speedtest I can hit over 50Mb/s , has anyone else on plusnet had this problem?

Trying to work out if its a plusnet or NowTV (Sky) issue.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Feb-15 18:26:28
Print Post

Re: NowTV Quality

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

Now TV does seem to vary between poor SD and as good as HD and that is using a Sky connection.

I don't think its the connection per-se since I can have Netflix HD streaming at higher bit rates with no problem, so it may well be something to do with the capacity of NOW TV to cope.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pompey_steve
(member) Thu 12-Feb-15 18:50:56
Print Post

I normally get a very good picture, with an occasional drop to lower quality for a short period.

But I seem quite capable of streaming 4k video from youtube with no problems (although these are shorter in length).

Are you using the NowTV box or an app? I have found that the picture quality from my now TV box is more stable that that on my LG TV.

-----------
Regards,
Steve

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Davey_H
(newbie) Fri 13-Feb-15 02:04:04
Print Post

Its not Plusnet. I gave up on Now TV because the PQ was so poor.

Its 720p at best, and On Demand is SD on some platforms, and live streams SD on all platforms

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality

Edited by Davey_H (Fri 13-Feb-15 02:14:31)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Feb-15 09:11:53
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

The key seems to be the difference between On-Demand and live, I almost always use it on-demand.

Netflix is better quality though if you have a HD subscription.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 13-Feb-15 12:13:11
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Davey_H:
live streams SD on all platforms
NowTV Live TV is 720p on Apple TV

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User alanscoachdriver
(newbie) Sat 14-Feb-15 09:32:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

When I first used it via the NOW TV box the quality was very poor at times but has improved over the last year.. Now I watch via an Apple TV and its' pretty good now. Also watched a few F1 races live last year on the Apple TV which were very good. The live streams of it on the NOW TV box were painful on a large 55" TV.

I had mentioned it on the NOW TV community forums as well and there are posts from a lot of people complaining. I'm happy now though although not to the quality of Amazon Prime with their 1080P.

I get about 12mb and on my mum's connection should still gets a decent picture on 2.5mb on the NOW TV box but she had a smaller TV
  Print Thread

Jump to