User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Feb-15 11:29:27
Print Post

Seems like I am getting the new router

[link to this post]

According to my account summery, Plusnet is sending me the Sagecom router, I doubt it will ever be used, but useful as a spare. I wonder if it have better Wi-fi than the Thomson, I may take it to my mates place and try it there to see if it is better than his Thomson. or what ever they call them these days.
I presume they are not locked to accounts.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sun 15-Feb-15 15:52:58
Print Post

Re: Seems like I am getting the new router

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

You can probably set it up as a switch for experiment at home and do an exact side-by-side comparison with your main router.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Feb-15 16:32:49
Print Post

The TR069 autosetup is locked to your account
You may need to disable it

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Feb-15 17:37:03
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
The TR069 autosetup is locked to your account
You may need to disable it

Really, why would they do that? Like my mate is on Plusnet anyway, but he have the Thomson rubbish thing where have a Wi-fi signal as good as a bit of wet string.
I thought since I would not be using the Sagecom anyway, he could have it on long term loan.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Feb-15 17:46:52
Print Post

because it is permanently linked to your account and if, for some reason it rebooted it is liable to finish up with your username and pasword
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Feb-15 19:18:16
Print Post

Can you disable TR069 on PN? EE is similar but you can't disable it.

And even if you did disable it, when it is factory reset it will be re-enabled, which is when linking to original owner comes into play.

EDIT: Surely just a reboot isn't going to trigger TR069? It already has valid userID/pwd.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 15-Feb-15 19:21:16)

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Feb-15 19:27:46
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Whether it survives a reboot I have no idea but it certainly doesn't survive a hard reset and if it gets its knickers in a twist it could certainly screw things up
You can disable it via the portal https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection
Look at Automatic Hardware Setup
There is another factor - and I have no idea what happens in this case - apparently you can only have one router linked to the automatic setup system so if you receive two does the first one get taken off the system or does the second one not get added
An example
I had a TG582n where the auto setup worked but I received one of the new ones and it didn't
Whether that was a glitch or not I haver no idea

Edited by Oldjim (Sun 15-Feb-15 19:28:39)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Feb-15 08:00:48
Print Post

Unless it has changed it's a mess! Getting a new router didn't remove the old one, disabling/enabling seems to affect all routers ever received by the account.

See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1330...

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Feb-15 09:43:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
because it is permanently linked to your account and if, for some reason it rebooted it is liable to finish up with your username and pasword

I hate these auto set up rubbish, this is why even if I went with BT or Talk Talk i would use my own router. We had to set up our own systems years ago, do these providers think we are not capable anymore?

Maybe people are not as it is too easy now,

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Feb-15 09:49:36
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Oh well, it is not that important, I just thought since I doubt i would use the router, it may work better on wi-fi than the Thomson one my mate have got. In fact he have two of them, not sure why Plusnet sent him two.

Why are you not sure how much longer you will be with plusnet?

Adrian

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to