User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Feb-15 16:29:53
Print Post

All installed

[link to this post]

, but still not working smile

Modem is in and synced, Mr BTOR man said it was a pretty good speed it was synced at, but that will drope when Plusnet activate the service as I only paid for 38Mb/s, still shocked the synced speed is over 70.

Just got to wait now for Plusnet to activate my service, according to my account that will be tomorrow afternoon. Seems strange that I got this equipment in and I can't use it until tomorrow. smile

I must say one thing, I never really liked BT, but the person they sent to me today, was friendly and efficient. He even was telling me how the fibre system worked and how it was connected.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Feb-15 16:35:45
Print Post

Re: All installed

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Ring them up and they'll activate it straight away.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Feb-15 17:07:40
Print Post

If you ordered the 40/20 or( 38/18 for asa purposes ) the sync will remain the same as it is now ,unless DLM intervenes , you may as well of paid a bit more gone for the 80/20 (76/18) product and made use of your short d'side , you still maybe able to , as there is no changes needed by BT openreach or wholesale, the 38mbps cap is done on plusnets side internal to them so shouldn't really need starting a new min term ect, just a config change ,should you want to do that

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 24-Feb-15 17:08:51)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-Feb-15 17:13:42
Print Post

As Ian says. Ring them up. Otherwise they will wait until they get the notification from Openreach that it is done.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 60.0/17.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Tue 24-Feb-15 17:19:07
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

If you decide to keep the 40/20 and have an unlocked HG612 you may wish artificially to reduce your sync speed. This will give a higher SNR and make the line even more stable than it would be at the normal sync speed, but won't reduce your actual speed (as PlusNet are already doing that for the 40Mbps package). Even though I can get a sync of 75Mbps I find the PlusNet 40/20 ideal for my needs. I very rarely feel any real world loss from the reduction from 75 to 40; just occasionally on the very large downloads, and certainly not £5 a month's worth of difference.

Details at
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1361...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
copied here ...

PlusNet 40/20 contract is unusual in that they contract with Openreach for 80/20 and then reduce download to 40 on the PlusNet side. The VDSL modem connection to the cabinet uses the fastest sync that DLM will allow it. There is always a risk that intermittent noise will cause errors on the line, and if you are unlucky can even cause DLM to introduce interleaving.

This risk can be considerably reduced by a more conservative sync speed with associated higher SNR, and without compromising on actual speed. I have been looking into this on and off since moving to PlusNet, and have finally cracked it; with lots of help at http://forums.thinkbroadb...raffic-shaping-again.html

You need an unlocked HG612. telnet to it (probably telnet 192.168.1.1, user admin, password admin) end enter sh to go into the BusyBox shell. (If you don't know how to do this anyway, don't try.)
Then enter the command
xdslcmd start --up --maxDataRate 50000 25000 75000

If your sync was previously above 50000 this will give you a lower sync rate and higher downstream SNR: my downstream SNR is now 14.5db.
As I expected, speedtests are unchanged. http://www.thinkbroadband...om/speedtest/results.html
BT wholesale showing 48.4/20 profile, 38.25/17.38 speedtests.
I expect my error rates to go down, and feel pretty sure I will only get interleaved if something quite bad happens.

This will only last until the next time the modem resyncs. If you add the command
xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 50000 25000 75000
I think (?) it will last until the next modem reboot/restart.

You could probably get away with --maxDataRate 40000 20000 60000,
especially if your MAX sync is nearer to 40000, but I thought a little 'headroom' wouldn't do any harm.

Down Up
max: 75080 22355
path: 49999 19999
SNR (dB): 14.5 7.1

R: 16 16
N: 254 254
I: 254 127

INP: 0.00 0.00
D: 1 1
delay: 0 0

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.

Edited by StephenTodd (Tue 24-Feb-15 17:19:59)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Feb-15 22:22:05
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

cheers people, well it was activated about 6ish, so not too bad. It seems ok, a little slow at the moment, but I been told it will speed up, in fact it have gone from 5Mb/s to 20, I expect it will go faster.

Not really bothered about up to 80 to be honest, the extra cost for a bit more speed is not worth it. As long as i can watch Netflix and browse the net, that is all I am really bothered about. The higher upload speed will be useful, if it does get any higher, 0.5Mb/s at the moment smile I expect that will rise.

Saying that I got to get health sorted before i can make full use of upload speed.
i will keep the info, cheers people

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Tue 24-Feb-15 22:29:57
Print Post

Normally fibre slows down a little after initial activation as DLM learns about the line capability. If you have really got a 70Mbps sync you should be getting very close to your 40Mbps download, and probably well above 10Mbps upload, nearer 20.

It may be that Plusnet have got you on the wrong profile by mistake. You might need to give them (another?) ring to check.

Good luck with your health and then the health of your broadband.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-Feb-15 22:30:12
Print Post

That isn't as it should be. FTTC speeds do not improve in that way, though they may change over time, usually downwards.

Turn off the router, then the modem, then the computer. Wait ten minutes. Turn on the modem, when it has sync'ed (should be less than 20 seconds) turn on the router. Once that has the wireless light on turn on the computer.

If connecting wirelessly, try wired.

As a (useful perhaps) point of interest, is it a Huawei or ECI modem?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 60.0/17.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Feb-15 01:01:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That isn't as it should be. FTTC speeds do not improve in that way, though they may change over time, usually downwards.

Turn off the router, then the modem, then the computer. Wait ten minutes. Turn on the modem, when it has sync'ed (should be less than 20 seconds) turn on the router. Once that has the wireless light on turn on the computer.

If connecting wirelessly, try wired.

As a (useful perhaps) point of interest, is it a Huawei or ECI modem?

i will try that now, before bed.

speed is arond 16 now, not great, should be more than that.

It is a ECI modem.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Feb-15 01:01:54
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
Normally fibre slows down a little after initial activation as DLM learns about the line capability. If you have really got a 70Mbps sync you should be getting very close to your 40Mbps download, and probably well above 10Mbps upload, nearer 20.

It may be that Plusnet have got you on the wrong profile by mistake. You might need to give them (another?) ring to check.

Good luck with your health and then the health of your broadband.

Thank you

Adrian

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to