User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 16-Mar-15 11:02:26
Print Post

Fibre upload speeds and general questions

[link to this post]

Are the PN upload speeds thus:

76 / 19.5
38 / 19.5
17 / ??

And can anyone point me to a fairly accurate distance from cab, speed estimate guide? I assume that the most likely distance in new-build estates is to map the roads. If this is so, my DfC is about 0.5 / 0.6 km.

With that in mind, I'm probably going to go for 38 / 19.5 but any input on why 76 / 19.5 is worth it (I assume my DfC will mean it will be closer to 50 meg or so).

Lastly, what are the 18-month contract get out costs likely to be at any given point?

Ta!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Mar-15 11:06:14
Print Post

Re: Fibre upload speeds and general questions

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

The ADSL2+ upload maximum is 0.8 to 1 Mbps

The faster download FTTC depends on whether you want to benefit from a bit of extra download speed. Many just opt for the cash saving.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband....
The often copied and made prettier chart, and while people say the speeds are too slow they are taking into account cross talk and without other factors like copper cable thickness and which ANFP mask your cabinet is using it is all guess work until you stick a VDSL2 modem onto the line.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Mar-15 11:12:42
Print Post

Don't forget the upload speeds are all "up to" as well. I am about 600m from the cab (cable length) and I get between 40-50 down sync and 13-15 up sync. I am with BT but the tech is the same with PlusNet.

On BT I pay for the 80/20 package mainly just to get a bit more on the upstream for when uploading photos.

I considered changing to PlusNet and would probably have gone for the 40/20 with them as the loss in the downstream wouldn't have mattered that much to me (only reasons I didn't was the retention deal BT gave me and PlusNet were going through a bit of a rough patch for support).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 16-Mar-15 11:13:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

http://www.camieabz.co.uk/broadband

Scroll down to line stats. They are the best-effort stats. My ADSL2+ speeds are generally around 12Meg throughput. Yes, that list is a bit stingy on line speeds. Not sure about the external wiring, obviously, but it's CAT6 copper internally, to the wall port at least.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 16-Mar-15 11:26:35
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hmm. I forgot about the up-to on the upload. There's always something. wink
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Mar-15 11:48:22
Print Post

Without knowing details of the cabinet and your exact address and the copper used largely irrelevant to guessing your FTTC speeds

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Mar-15 12:48:29
Print Post

Is there anywhere a table of (down) attenuation against expected speed (or distance) like there is with ADSL? That would be really useful.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Mar-15 12:59:01
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

If I don't sleep I might manage it today

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Mar-15 13:02:58
Print Post

Sleep? Next thing you know you'll be wanting to eat at some point as well. Don't you realise you are operating within a 19th century workhouse and things like sleep and food should be forgone in order to show your proper commitment???
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 16-Mar-15 13:16:59
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The TBB data:

Downstream - http://i.imgbox.com/QtXc2q2k.png
Upstream - http://i.imgbox.com/asUGND0f.png

/had 5 minutes to kill

Edit: No attn data...just meddling with charts

Edited by camieabz (Mon 16-Mar-15 13:18:45)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to