User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Mar-15 12:33:40
Print Post

Migrating FTTC to Plusnet - a warning

[link to this post]

If you already have FTTC and are considering moving to Plusnet be aware that at the moment this may not go smoothly!

Plusnet will book an engineer's appointment for the day - that won't happen. OpenReach assume that as you have an existing FTTC service an engineer's appointment isn't needed. No engineer means no OpenReach supplied modem. As Plusnet will supply a router only, you will be expected to continue to use the modem supplied by your current ISP. If you already have an OpenReach supplied modem, or your current all in one Modem/Router is not locked to your current ISP and can be configured with the Plusnet credentials you will be OK - providing you know how to make the necessary changes

However, those whose current modem/router is locked (e.g. Sky users) will have issues and may be off line for some days as Plusnet have not sorted out a proper process for this situation. BT say that the ISP should hold a stock of modems for these circumstances but Plusnet have not done so and it comes down to members of the Customer Relations Team scrabbling around the offices trying to find a modem they can send to the user.

Here's an example of a user's experience: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1375...

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Mar-15 18:33:04
Print Post

Re: Migrating FTTC to Plusnet - a warning

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

This sort of thing was predicted by RevK at AAISP - he said, and I happen to agree, that all FTTC should be provided with a modem. The "wires only" and "one box" idea leads to these vendor locked router/modem combinations like the Sky SR101/102 and the BT HomeHub 5 which leads to significantly less consumer choice.

The fixed infrastructure (FTTC / VDSL side) should be separate to the IP / Ethernet side of the service.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Mar-15 19:47:39
Print Post

I personally can't see why anyone would want to migrate their existing FTTC WBMC based service to Plusnet in particular where the customer wanted broadband only they will firstly charge you a £50 fee for a non installation as no involvement by BTOR is required , and they also will insist on a long 18mth min term contract ,
The BT charges for FTTC migrations of the same type ie GEA/GEA or WBMC/WBMC have been £11.00 since Nov 14 and BT OR and Wholesale only require a 1month min term from the isp's

Ofcom should of made a ruling that would force ISP's to pass on these beneficial changes to the customer , and IMO any charges for connection activation or whatever they wish to call it this week, should be proportionate not double or triple whatever they are charged
Why this 18mths min term? i don't get it , even the managed install fees have come down

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Mar-15 19:54:29
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
I personally can't see why anyone would want to migrate their existing FTTC WBMC based service to Plusnet in particular where the customer wanted broadband only they will firstly charge you a £50 fee for a non installation as no involvement by BTOR is required , and they also will insist on a long 18mth min term contract.

I moved June last year as Plusnet offer static IP and are generally lower per month. The BTOR reducations only came in last autumn, and I can see you point. Plusnet need to catch up.

However I think the others are worse smile

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Mar-15 20:22:17
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I personally can't see why anyone would want to migrate their existing FTTC WBMC based service to Plusnet in particular where the customer wanted broadband only they will firstly charge you a £50 fee for a non installation as no involvement by BTOR is required , and they also will insist on a long 18mth min term contract.

I moved June last year as Plusnet offer static IP and are generally lower per month. The BTOR reducations only came in last autumn, and I can see you point. Plusnet need to catch up.

However I think the others are worse smile
Most others min term contract lenghts are 12mths and some charge a lower fee for activation/migration which still aren't proportianate to the current charges from BT , with the execption of AAISP who's min term is only 6mths and the migration fee i think is /was £15 or there abouts, and they have been charging that amount before BT lowered the fee for FTTC migrations, My point if they can do this why can't the others?
I wouldn't be suprised if AAISP reduce the 6 mths min term to a 1 mth contract soon
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Mar-15 20:40:00
Print Post

I wouldn't be suprised if AAISP reduce the 6 mths min term to a 1 mth contract soon

AAISP cant' keep up with the growth in Netflix, Amazon Video, iPlayer etc streaming. AAISP think that 100gb a month for a home is "a lot" when I can use over 150gb in a month normally - and my friends with kids use over 350 to 400gb.

AAISP is really an excellent corporate ISP where video streaming is not the main use of the connection.

Edited by jchamier (Mon 16-Mar-15 20:40:27)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Mar-15 21:14:36
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I am well aware that they only sell metered broadband and that 100gb per month is a small amount of data even for £25 per month, and this is the only reason that am not with AAISP , But i was only pointing out the contract terms and migration fees, I do not feel that i or anyone should have to pay a migration fee that isnt proportianate to what the ISP is being charged more, that in my opinion is wrong , the contract min terms if not reduced to a 1 mth min term could be certainly less than 12mths for qualifying migrations
The biggest pull with AAISP over the others is they won't let BT off the hook like the other ISP's seem to do all too easily

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 17-Mar-15 03:56:03)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Mar-15 23:18:30
Print Post

I've never used more than 40GB.

The pavement outside my house was dug up today to get access to power for the cab across the road. I don't do large uploads so 40/10 would suit me fine.

I'm on a market 1 exchange. My phone is with BT and it's staying there. Decisions to be made!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 17-Mar-15 03:10:02
Print Post

I think I raised this when plusnet announced their new router which lacks a VDSL modem.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Mar-15 12:01:19
Print Post

When our cabinet was in the same state as yours is now, we were just hitting the 13GB soft limit of our (ancient) 20GB package of the time, just before some slowdowns would have happened. That was 2011, with 2 people working from home.

Since then, we've been on FTTC, and our usage now can be anything up to 150GB.

I reckon the main cause is my daughter becoming a teenager, armed with an ipad for school. In reality, though, everyone just uses more and more and more...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to