User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Mar-15 12:40:00
Print Post

Are PlusNet speeds in meltdown?

[link to this post]

So a peek at a massive thread elsewhere and a few people seeing single thread issues and signs on congestion on even multi-thread.

Is this widespread and thus ISP meltdown, or just the face of contention appearing on a few nodes for a few weeks on what is a consumer priced service?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User timl
(committed) Tue 24-Mar-15 14:40:26
Print Post

Re: Are PlusNet speeds in meltdown?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

On my connection I've not notice anything out of the ordinary. My speedtest is as good as I'd expect... The 4Mb upload is expected because I have my own traffic shaping on the upload smile

SpeedTest

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
BT Infinity 2
Standard User WelshWArrior
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Mar-15 14:48:21
Print Post

[re: timl] [link to this post]

Mine's been very slow for the last few days with constant website not responding messages particularly in the evenings which for me suggests congestion somewhere. After 10pm last night, it was unusable as my quality monitor shows:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/e1e8eefbf72...

MY fibre gets connected tomorrow afternoon so fingers crossed things will pick up smile

-------------------------------------------
PlusNet ADSL2+ Unlimited.
Speedtest

Edited by WelshWArrior (Tue 24-Mar-15 14:49:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User timl
(committed) Tue 24-Mar-15 15:08:52
Print Post

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

Hi WelshWarrior,

For completeness I should have included my ping test.. I'm only 30 miles south of London so that's going make some difference.

It looks as if we swapped gateway sometime this morning... might reboot the router and see if we can get onto a better gateway.

Ping Test

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
BT Infinity 2
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Mar-15 15:12:29
Print Post

download speed is ok, depending on how good your speedtest is, the 45 burst isa bit iffy I think considering I am only up to 38, so even the 40 is a bit iffy.

Upload is naff.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14272...

Speedtest.netseem to give me a more realistic speed.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Mar-15 15:29:47
Print Post

The issues reported have been about Peak time mainly So anytime from 7pm through to 11.30 or midnight , (8pm-10pm) being the time slot when it has been at it's worst
In the past there have been severe increases in latency visiable on the ping monitor as well as low throughput, i hopped onto one gateway and the endpoint must have been 99% saturated latency of over 100ms and throughput both up and downstream sub 10mbps , and thats on a 80/20 FTTC product syncing at the full rates on fast path
Standard User EddyTheDog
(newbie) Tue 24-Mar-15 15:32:10
Print Post

I'm inclined to go with it being congestion on the backhaul (whether it's PlusNet's of BTw's issue I don't know), that's now becoming more apparent as more people move over to fibre based services, and thus higher broadband speeds.

The thing with PlusNet (and this is a good thing in my opinion) is that they're more open about this than most providers, and customers are maybe a little more willing to discuss it and try to get to the bottom of the problem.
Standard User 961a
(learned) Tue 24-Mar-15 15:39:07
Print Post

It's always seemed to me that if we all switch from watching tv on the tv to watching tv and everything else (Netflix, catch up, i-player) via our phone line then the infrastructure, sooner or later, ain't going to cope

I read threads on here every day about fibre customers finding that when next door gets fibre installed the speed goes down with a bump. I've stayed with ADSL exactly for that reason and, dare I say it, my speed has marginally improved as others in the road have gone from ADSL to fibre

But if we all try to use the "phone line" to watch video (and HD and 4k video + games as well) something has to give whichever ISP we use
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Mar-15 16:48:31
Print Post

No problems here.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 66000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User skandia2
(newbie) Tue 24-Mar-15 17:28:12
Print Post

No issues seen by me.

Speedtests are as expected for a 40 meg capped service.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

However, I do not expect perfection every second of every day that some customers appear to expect in the thread on the PN forums.

The odd blip is to be expected.

One customer appeared to be complaining about a 1% speed loss at peak times.

Edited by skandia2 (Tue 24-Mar-15 20:54:11)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to