User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User matty_hunt
(committed) Wed 25-Mar-15 22:26:13
Print Post

Sagemcom 2704N wifi advanced settings

[link to this post]

Hi. I dont know anything about the technical side of the internet and hardware but today I received the Sagemcom 2704N. Getting a speed of less than 2mb which I guess will improve over the week as only connected tonight. For the first time I looked into the modem settings and found under WiFi advanced settings three options for WiFi mode - 802.11 b/g/n 54mbps, 150mb/s or 300mb/s. This is set at default 150mb/s. Is there any reason why I should not put this on to the fastest setting? Why even have options?
Many thanks.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Mar-15 22:31:21
Print Post

Re: Sagemcom 2704N wifi advanced settings

[re: matty_hunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by matty_hunt:
Hi. I dont know anything about the technical side of the internet and hardware but today I received the Sagemcom 2704N. Getting a speed of less than 2mb which I guess will improve over the week as only connected tonight. For the first time I looked into the modem settings and found under WiFi advanced settings three options for WiFi mode - 802.11 b/g/n 54mbps, 150mb/s or 300mb/s. This is set at default 150mb/s. Is there any reason why I should not put this on to the fastest setting? Why even have options?
Many thanks.

Those options are badly described. The 54mbps setting is for G wireless speed. (B wireless was 11mbps and I would avoid). The 150mbps and 300mbps speed options are for N wireless and govern how many channels are used at once.

The Sagemcom only supports 2.4GHz wifi and if you use two channels to try and gain speed you are likely to be stopping a neighbour using a free channel.

If you don't have Fibre (FTTC) service then you're unlikely to need more than 150mbps for just internet access. Unless you have a home server and need to back-up over WiFi.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Mar-15 22:32:30
Print Post

Re: Sagemcom 2704N wifi advanced settings

Depends in how fast your internet connection is and whether lots of other networks are in the area, if so stick to 150 setting

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User matty_hunt
(committed) Wed 25-Mar-15 22:39:11
Print Post

Thanks.

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Okay. Thanks for the replies. I'll leave as is then. Cheers.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Mar-15 22:56:36
Print Post

Re: Thanks.

Okay. Thanks for the replies. I'll leave as is then. Cheers.

If you can get a copy of inSSIDer , the old version 3 is generally good enough, the new version 4 needs payment, you can see how many WiFi networks are in your area and what channels are in use.

Its then very obvious whom is using the high speed "double channel" mode and being electronically antisocial.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User matty_hunt
(committed) Wed 25-Mar-15 23:36:05
Print Post

Thanks. I downloaded the program. Shows nine connections, three on channel 11 (including mine), four on channel six, two one channel one. What do I do with this information?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Mar-15 08:33:27
Print Post

Thanks. I downloaded the program. Shows nine connections, three on channel 11 (including mine), four on channel six, two one channel one. What do I do with this information?

You want to change yours to be on the most empty channel; this page will help:
http://www.metageek.com/support/why-channels-1-6-and...

In the web page for the Sagemcom you should be able to select a channel number.

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Thu 26-Mar-15 09:12:21
Print Post

If you can get a copy of inSSIDer

Or try https://www.acrylicwifi.com/ , now more easily available than free inSSIDer.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
  Print Thread

Jump to