User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 02-Apr-15 15:23:35
Print Post

New PN Financial Year

[link to this post]

Plusnet's financial year is 1 April to 31 March.

I wonder if new capacity has been on hold until now, and we may (I hope) get some very soon. The thought was provoked by this post, though I haven't gone looking yet for ADSLx complaints, to see if they are as widespread as the FTTC ones.

It wouldn't be surprising if they went well over budget in 2014-15, to cater for the huge increase in customer numbers, that won't yet have translated to much money in the bank. Too many give-aways and discounts for that. Fingers crossed!

I doubt very much if they'll ever restart the "capacity added" emails.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 02-Apr-15 16:22:48)

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Thu 02-Apr-15 16:01:16
Print Post

Re: New PN Financial Year

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I wanted to get a reply in here early. We forecast capacity well in advance and have continually been adding this over the last year, regardless of how far through the financial year we are.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Skilty
(regular) Thu 02-Apr-15 16:19:06
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chrisparr:
I wanted to get a reply in here early. We forecast capacity well in advance and have continually been adding this over the last year, regardless of how far through the financial year we are.

With that in mind why are people experiencing these problems and having to gateway hop etc?

plusnet Unlimited Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 63.83/15.7Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Apr-15 16:36:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisparr:

That's good to hear but if there is plenty of capacity what's causing all these similar issues?

plusnet user
(isp) Thu 02-Apr-15 16:55:37
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

That's what we're looking at. There are problems reported by us and other ISPS in Manchester and we've also reported issues in Slough. I've mentioned in the thread on our forum that it's not as simple as 1 gateway=1 path through the network. Each gateway connects to various different paths, different hosts links, sites etc. So disconnecting/reconnecting is more than just changing the gateway router that you're connected. to.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Skilty
(regular) Thu 02-Apr-15 16:58:22
Print Post

Indeed but as a customer should I have to gateway hop in an attempt to resolve a problem that is obviously not an issue with the copper from my house to the cab or the cab to the exchange?

The problem, whatever it is seems to be getting worse by the number of people reporting a problem on these forums and your own...

plusnet Unlimited Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 63.83/15.7Mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 02-Apr-15 17:50:06
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

The trouble is, having spent many years in hardware and application software problem sorting, once you get two or three concurrent problems affecting multiple customers at the same time it's very hard to split it down into the individual issues causing the problems.

At the moment there look to be possibly the two node type ones at Manchester and Slough, the bng gateway problem on IPv6, a general capacity imbalance within the Plusnet internal network, and the Openreach G.INP mess-up that appears to be affecting all ISPs.

Many of us are getting all those combined. For instance, I'm in south Manchester, supposedly on the IPv6 trial, my line recently got G.INP, and I can't get away from bng gateways most of the time.

Since getting G.INP on top of already odd happenings my line has been chaotic. But I do have sympathy with Plusnet staff trying to sort the mess out, despite the frustrations I feel myself about my connection at the moment. It is very difficult for the techies to see what is causing what on individual lines.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 02-Apr-15 18:33:43
Print Post

so what are the figures you added?

you knew this before as they used to be posted, surely its a quick email to the network department to ask for how much has been added since the last announcement? then we can judge for ourselves based on the users added if its still been added at the same rate.

thanks.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
(isp) Thu 02-Apr-15 18:35:15
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

We know the amount of capacity added, however we're not going to be making the amounts public. The bandwidth has been added using the same rules as previously as far as I'm aware, so it's based on average usage, estimated increases in usage along with changes in customer numbers.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Apr-15 19:24:45
Print Post

There were issues exactly the same as these we now that have been ongoing for a long time on and off* at peak times (*off was normally shortly after a capacity increase notification) that have been unique to plusnet customers , and they are still happening today, casting the blame from plusnet onto other parties doesn't cut it, as said the sunday and monday peak time issues have been ongoing for over 12mths long before BTW having issues in some areas, who's fault has that been?

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 02-Apr-15 19:28:29)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to