User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Grimmers
(newbie) Wed 08-Apr-15 19:04:06
Print Post

House move and FTTC upgrade - advice please

[link to this post]

I am moving house soon (on the same exchange) out of my grotty rental and into a my first house purchase with my OH.
The 12 Mbps adsl connection I have currently has always been sufficient, but the house I am moving to is further from the exchange and the best efforts I can find on the address checker is 6 Mbps. The new house is however a (good) stones throw from the street cab at the bottom of the road meaning I would be able to order a decent 40/20 FTTC product.
I was wondering if it is possible (sensible??) to do a house move and a FTTC upgrade at the same time to minimise disruption and time off which I can ill afford to take being self-employed?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Chris
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Apr-15 14:36:18
Print Post

Re: House move and FTTC upgrade - advice please

[re: Grimmers] [link to this post]

If you and you OH are not the first residents in the house did the previous owners have a BB connection, if they did how good was it?

plusnet user
Standard User Grimmers
(newbie) Fri 10-Apr-15 07:04:59
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

The owner is still living there and due to him being overly chatty I completely forgot to check around or ask him about his internet connection when we went to view. Its an old fella living on his own so I suspect he doesnt have fibre, but you cant be too sure.
If it does turn out he has fibre already would this make my propostion easier to complete for the ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Fri 10-Apr-15 14:56:26
Print Post

A house move, with or without fibre shoudn't make a difference TBH. It's simply a different order we place and an account change that would happen when the order completes if you chose to go to fibre.

The customer options team are the best people to speak to as they can check for appointment dates etc when going through the house move detail with you

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Apr-15 15:09:36
Print Post

If you know the new house phone number put it into this and see what it says:-

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s...

plusnet user
Standard User Grimmers
(newbie) Fri 10-Apr-15 17:32:04
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Thanks Apprentice, I manged to find the phone number (on bt.com of all places) didn't think anyone was listed on there any more..!!
The results of this check yielded much the same results as the address/postcode check:

FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 72 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 61.9 20 12.2 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 1.5 to 5.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1.5 to 4.5 Available

Think I will defo need FTTC here.
Standard User Grimmers
(newbie) Fri 10-Apr-15 17:35:36
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Thanks Chris, I'd had a dig around and couldn't find anything relating to a house move with a change to fibre and here was me thinking it was something extraordinary.
Its good to know that a move/upgrade shouldn't cause too many headaches from Plusnets end.
  Print Thread

Jump to