User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User finchley
(newbie) Tue 21-Apr-15 08:55:17
Print Post

Fibre speed halved

[link to this post]

I've been on fibre with Plusnet for just over a year now and for most of that time have had speeds averaging 18Mbps down and 2.5Mbps up. In the last week however I have noticed this has dropped by half.......http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/142960538685266366024.png.

The BT wholesale speedtest site says there is nothing wrong with my line and this is the speed I should expect. So how come it's dropped by half after over a year? I might add that nothing has changed on the set up side in the house. I also have several examples of speedtests taken through thinkbroadband over the year to prove I was getting 18Mbps!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Apr-15 08:59:03
Print Post

Re: Fibre speed halved

[re: finchley] [link to this post]

Probably cross talk from other new customers.
Standard User clmfsh
(experienced) Tue 21-Apr-15 09:07:59
Print Post

Are you on WiFi or a wired connexion?

Could well be crosstalk of wired, mine went from 80MBps to 65MBps over the course of 14 months as more customers signed up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User finchley
(newbie) Tue 21-Apr-15 09:18:02
Print Post

[re: clmfsh] [link to this post]

I'm on a wired but you may be right. Fibre's only been available in the last year and I'm pretty sure I was one of the first to sign up. No doubt everyone else has now caught up. Pity, after only getting 2Mbps before I was really enjoying it. I suppose a lot of people would say I'm lucky to be getting 9Mbps!
Standard User finchley
(newbie) Tue 21-Apr-15 10:04:55
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Ok. Just done a little bit of research on "crosstalk". Good article here for those of us who aren't as au fait with all the technical aspects of FTTC.......... http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectori...
So next question is where are we with BT introducing "vectoring" which seems one of the more obvious ways of alleviating the problem? I know they are trialling it in certain areas but if it's not introduced soon, reading the above article, the situation will only get more and more worse across the country.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Apr-15 10:05:28
Print Post

What is the line length? If the 18 Mbps was good for the line length then probably cross talk.

Can tell its an Ethernet connection from the test, and also looks like hitting connection limit rather than being limited due to errors.

To get some idea you really need a VDSL2 modem that gives access to the stats. A small chance you have an ECI modem on a Huawei cabinet where G.INP has been turned on and this can impact speeds, in addition to increasing cross talk as more people buy service. The Billion 8800 NL is fairly popular as supports G.INP and while not fastest wireless, with your connection 802.11n is more than enough.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User finchley
(newbie) Tue 21-Apr-15 10:30:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for reply. I'm using an Asus RT-AC68U router but, at the moment, have left it in it's normal set up configuration. I don't suppose there's anything I can do on it to make matters better though from a wireless point of view I have switched to 5GHz.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 21-Apr-15 14:26:17
Print Post

For some reason, and having checked many times with different kit, on my ASUS RT-N66U with which I'm generally happy I've found the 5GHz wireless, (one of the things I bought it for), totally useless compared to the 2.4GHz.

It's not bad when browsing, but downloads or speedtests are dreadful, varying hugely over the timespan. On 2.4GHz I normally get the full speed - only fractionally down from wired.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Apr-15 14:57:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's a pity ISP's don't mention up front in their adverts that there is a possibility that speeds could drop quite a lot for some customers due to crosstalk issues but then again that would be like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas tongue

plusnet user
Standard User finchley
(newbie) Tue 21-Apr-15 15:09:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info Roberto. Funnily enough the BT Openreach engineer turned up at my door about an hour ago. I didn't even know that Plusnet had requested him. Long story short he has been to the cabinet and put the speed back up to 40 Mbps from 27. However he is still puzzled as I am still only getting 13.75Mbps down although the sync speed is showing 40Mbps. I am about 1300m from the cabinet but he still thinks my speed should be faster. The ping this time was 25ms as against 36ms when he first tested it. He says there is nothing wrong with the line from the cabinet to the house.
My technical knowledge on FTTC is limited so when I say he has now gone directly to the exchange to have a look I'm not sure why.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to