User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Fri 24-Apr-15 20:15:48
Print Post

PN and the "free" router

[link to this post]

There are a lot of comments here about PN supplied routers and one thought comes to mind. As PN are part of BT why do they not both supply the same router i.e. Home Hub 5?

Is the HH better and more expensive so that it is more affordable to the higher paying BT customers? If it is better then maybe PN could charge a few quid extra for supplying it? Economies of scale might kick in too.

I am using a TG585v7 on the basis that if it ain't broke don't try to fix it! Seems for me to do what it says on the tin.

Meldrew
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Apr-15 21:06:51
Print Post

Re: PN and the "free" router

[re: meldrew] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by meldrew:
There are a lot of comments here about PN supplied routers and one thought comes to mind. As PN are part of BT why do they not both supply the same router i.e. Home Hub 5?

A lot of people going for plusnet would say all the home hubs are "basic locked down, featureless junk".

You can choose NOT to have a plusnet router and use your own. I'm on FTTC and I use an ASUS RT-AC68U which is vastly more capable than the HomeHub 3 junk BT gave me a while back. I've seen a HH5 and its pretty much the same.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 product - Installed 2 June 14 - April Sync 57 / 11 with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Sinxe 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Speedtest
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 24-Apr-15 21:11:58
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The HH5 is a cheap way to get wireless-AC and has enough grunt to deliver full speeds on FTTC or even FTTP.

Another thing the Homehub is good for is being a BT Wifi hotspot, which won't help on other ISPs.

____________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance_

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Apr-15 21:21:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
The HH5 is a cheap way to get wireless-AC and has enough grunt to deliver full speeds on FTTC or even FTTP.

Other routers now manage it (with hardware NAT) but agreed, its good BT have a 300mbps capable offering. (Wireless AC is getting more common).

Another thing the Homehub is good for is being a BT Wifi hotspot, which won't help on other ISPs.

Its something I always switch off, why would you want this? Most public hotspots are funded by their location, e.g. banks, shopping centres, coffee shops, pubs even if run by BT WiFi and lots of places are now The Cloud or O2 wifi too.

Less and less interesting.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 product - Installed 2 June 14 - April Sync 57 / 11 with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Sinxe 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Apr-15 23:59:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by meldrew:
I am using a TG585v7 on the basis that if it ain't broke don't try to fix it! Seems for me to do what it says on the tin.
That says it all really.

It works for me, though the wireless wasn't quite as good as I would like when I moved to the other end of my lounge with my laptop when watching F1 on the TV with a real-time timing screen from the F1 website on the computer. A metal-framed house which doesn't help.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User ppppenguin99
(member) Thu 30-Apr-15 07:57:26
Print Post

My installation is now has 3 boxes. The old 585v7 doing wifi, the HG612 VDSL modem and a 2704N sitting between them. The wifi on the 2704N, supplied by PN whne I switched to fibre, is abysmal..I raised a ticket and PN replaced the 2704N but the new on is just as bad. CHeap and nasty would be a polite way to describe it. The old 585v7 sill works OK. It may not be the best wifi router but it works.

If I want to get rid of the mess of boxes and cables I can either splash out on something like a Billion 8800NL (combined VDSL modem/router) or wait for PN to start supplying halfways decent hardware. Not holding my breath.
Standard User azrael316
(learned) Thu 30-Apr-15 09:13:50
Print Post

The main reason? BT want to keep PN as separate as possible, and continue to use them as the stick to beat TT etc over the head with.

BT know they just cant compete on a level with TT etc but PN can.

It was a question raised MANY times during my time at PN though. wink
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Apr-15 10:21:12
Print Post

[re: azrael316] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by azrael316:
The main reason? BT want to keep PN as separate as possible, and continue to use them as the stick to beat TT etc over the head with.

BT know they just cant compete on a level with TT etc but PN can.

It was a question raised MANY times during my time at PN though. wink

The BT HH5 is awful anyway, it is worse than the Sagecom that plusnet supplies, which to be honest is pretty good,I am using it at the moment, the only problem is the lack of configuration.

If BT decided to do away with plusnet and took it all under BVT, I would find another provider, the main reason why I came to plusnet was because it was a arm length away from BT. I am not a fan of BT and have not been for a a long time.
I needed to change ISP pretty quick and the chjoice for the price was either Talk Talk, which I do not want to go to or Plusnet.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User azrael316
(learned) Thu 30-Apr-15 11:26:38
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

The advantage of having the HH5 would be less time having to spend with a customer changing channels on the Sagem/Technicolor.

60% of my day at PN was spent dealing with WiFi issues, which would have all but disappeared with a HomeHub 4 or above.

The devices PN use are built to a price, not a specification, if they weren't then the "new@ router would have had wireless AC and better all round performance, instead of just being another cheap and cheerful £10 job.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Apr-15 16:30:44
Print Post

[re: azrael316] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by azrael316:
The advantage of having the HH5 would be less time having to spend with a customer changing channels on the Sagem/Technicolor.

60% of my day at PN was spent dealing with WiFi issues, which would have all but disappeared with a HomeHub 4 or above.

The devices PN use are built to a price, not a specification, if they weren't then the "new@ router would have had wireless AC and better all round performance, instead of just being another cheap and cheerful £10 job.

The HH5 is not that great to be honest, I spent ages trying to get two mobile phones, one Android based and one Iphone to connect to one , even separating the different frequecies and giving then their own SSiD, that did not work, so we went back to the HH3.

The know the technicolor is not that good, but the Sagem I have had no problem with and I know someone else who just gone to plusnet with the sagem and find it fine.

It is not a router I would use for long myself, but it does the job.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to