User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sparkles
(regular) Mon 11-May-15 12:57:34
Print Post

Thinking of getting Pusnet 76mb Fiber

[link to this post]

I live very close to my exchange. Currently with Sky Unlimited 17mb LLU. Router syncs at 23mb and speed is over 20mb with download speeds of 20mb most of the time.
What sort of speeds can I expect with the Plusnet 76mb Fiber better than I am currently getting or worse ? . Also my son downloads movies and streams a lot ,are these traffic shaped ?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-May-15 13:39:15
Print Post

Re: Thinking of getting Pusnet 76mb Fiber

[re: Sparkles] [link to this post]

Impossible for us to say what speed you will get as it is dependent on distance to cabinet rather than exchange.

Put your phone number in here to get BTs estimate.

for actual performance on PlusNet I will leave others to comment - there are quite a few threads discussing people's issues/non-issues at the moment.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-May-15 14:52:32
Print Post

Re: Thinking of getting Pusnet 76mb Fibre

The link Ian has given you will not work for your number if it is an LLU line as well as LLU broadband.

If that's the case, use the Address option. Do not use the Postcode option.

In either case the line above the estimates table should give you a cabinet number. If it doesn't, it's possible you are on an EO (Exchange only) line and not able to get a fibre connection.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sparkles
(regular) Mon 11-May-15 16:13:43
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes BT would give me the full 76mb,but what can I expect from Plusnet ?.
Will they restrict me down to say half of that or what ?
What are other Plusnet users getting , anybody got anything good to say about them apart from the price ?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-May-15 16:20:11
Print Post

PlusNet do not purposely restrict your connection. But, I strongly recommend you read the other posts in this forum and you will get some answers to your question. There are many discussions on here about this very subject. Try looking at the "PlusNet, struggling?" thread as a starter.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-May-15 16:43:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sparkles:
What are other Plusnet users getting , anybody got anything good to say about them apart from the price ?

I have no problem at all with Plusnet performance, I am getting speeds in the middle of my clean estimated range at all times. Support, when occasionally needed, has been fine.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User bIOforger
(member) Mon 11-May-15 17:06:44
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Same here, I'm 2 weeks old on Plusnet fibre, the connection speed was well within the estimate and has stayed that way. I'm about 7-900m away from the cabinet, so get about 45mbps down 11mpbs up, which equates to 5MB/s+ on downloads which is brilliant for me compared to my old dsl. I've not seen any slowdowns or throttling as such (touch wood) yet.

Support generally in my opinion is superb. Where else do you get online chat support every day all day long. Its rare these days. And if you do get it the "support" is poor to useless. That's not the case with Plusnet, usually the advice has been spot on for me. The member website i think is very well laid out as well, with loads of useful information.

Plusnet unlimited fibre (FTTC) - sync approx 43000/11000kbps @ ~600m

Edited by bIOforger (Mon 11-May-15 17:07:39)

Standard User nemeth782
(member) Mon 11-May-15 17:13:06
Print Post

Yes BT would give me the full 76mb,but what can I expect from Plusnet ?.
Will they restrict me down to say half of that or what ?

Apart from the fact that BT own Plusnet anyway, ALL FTTC providers will give you the same sync speed. If you will sync at 76mbit, or higher, with BT, you will sync at the same speed with Plusnet, Sky, Talktalk, etc, if you buy an 80/20 product.

I think what you want to know is how congested is the network. Reports vary, I have 79999/20000 sync and have no issues maxing out my line.
Standard User beardedwonder
(member) Mon 11-May-15 17:44:47
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Pretty much the same as nemeth782, 74Mbps/15Mbps and can max it out whenever.

They took a while to get a fault fixed but I'm pretty sure that was an Openreach issue. There was a problem at the exchange as well as something wrong with my line and for some reason Openreach decided to clear my fault when they fixed the issue at the exchange instead of also checking my fault! The engineer who came was top notch though.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-May-15 19:03:05
Print Post

I live very close to my exchange. Currently with Sky Unlimited 17mb LLU. Router syncs at 23mb and speed is over 20mb with download speeds of 20mb most of the time.
What sort of speeds can I expect with the Plusnet 76mb Fiber better than I am currently getting or worse ? . Also my son downloads movies and streams a lot ,are these traffic shaped ?

I get 50mbps with Plusnet and have no problems maxing out the line this last weekend. I get 9 or 10mbps upload too.

I'm in north east hampshire.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 product - Installed 2 June 14 - April Sync 57 / 11 with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to