User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kage
(newbie) Sat 23-May-15 09:58:25
Print Post

G.INP

[link to this post]

Can anyone explain how G.INP works. It has been enabled on my line (according to my modem HG612) which has meant that the d/l according to the modem has jumped from 43000 to 52000. My dowmload speed according to the speedcheckers has remained at 40060. Contacted Plusnet who said that they did not support G.INP. I thought it was implemented at cabinet level and was a way of reducing the crosstalk on the copper feed to the premises in which case why would Plusnet have to support it ?

Confused
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-May-15 10:08:28
Print Post

Re: G.INP

[re: kage] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kage:
Can anyone explain how G.INP works. It has been enabled on my line (according to my modem HG612) which has meant that the d/l according to the modem has jumped from 43000 to 52000. My dowmload speed according to the speedcheckers has remained at 40060. Contacted Plusnet who said that they did not support G.INP. I thought it was implemented at cabinet level and was a way of reducing the crosstalk on the copper feed to the premises in which case why would Plusnet have to support it ?

Yes, plusnet don't have anything to do with it. Since it was enabled have you reconnected your PPPoE session from the router? You sometimes need to reboot the router if the speed changes at the modem.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 product - Installed 2 June 14 - April Sync 57 / 11 with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Speedtest
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Sat 23-May-15 10:25:56
Print Post

It's Openreach that applies g.inp. not Plusnet. The most likely reason why your download sync speed has made that jump is that, prior to that, interleaving was turned on. Both g.inp and interleaving provide correction for short pulse of relatively intense interference, but the latter did so by imposing a permanent and large overhead whilst also adding to latency. In contrast, g.inp is rather more adaptive. It provides correction only for those short impulse periods without that permanent overhead.

As to why your actual download speed hasn't improved, that will most likely be due to the way bandwidth is being managed in the backhaul from the FTTC cabinet for your line. In principle, it ought to be automatic but might take some time and/or require the odd router reboot. However, I do mean just a few. Frequent resyncs can make the line management software think you connection is flaky.

nb. g.inp doesn't have anything to do with managing cross-talk. That's the role of vectoring, which has only been trialed in BT's networks (and brings other potential compatibility and other issues, like longer sync times). This is a useful and an succinct explanation.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-what-is-v...

Edited by TheEulerID (Sat 23-May-15 10:31:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-May-15 10:49:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by kage:
My download speed according to the speed checkers has remained at 40060.

What does your "Current line speed" say here? It might need a kick from Plusnet.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User kage
(newbie) Sat 23-May-15 11:04:10
Print Post

My thanks to you all. Yes I was confusing G.INP with Vectoring but was correct in thinking it was nothing to do with Plusnet. Interestingly since my post and without any intervention from me, my d/l speed has jumped to 47000.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 23-May-15 12:26:44
Print Post

That will be because the Plusnet "Current line speed" that kasg linked to has updated to correspond to the new IP Profile your higher sync generated. The update only happens a few times a day.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User dparr59
(committed) Sat 23-May-15 12:55:04
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

How do i check for G.inp using a billion router

Phone exchange:
KNOTTINGLEY
Estimated line speed:
54Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-05-21 05:41:08
Current line speed:
80 Mb

plusnet 63 Meg

Edited by dparr59 (Sat 23-May-15 13:11:31)

Standard User beardedwonder
(member) Sat 23-May-15 14:40:54
Print Post

If you're running custom firmware on your HG612 you should make sure you're using a version that supports G.INP. After using the correct firmware my download speed went up by 10Mbps and I gained 4Mbps upload, latency drastically improved as well.

I'm using: bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP08_webgui
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-May-15 14:59:31
Print Post

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

The key thing with firmware for unlocked HG612s is that you use a B030SP08 version. All the B028 versions are obsolete and will not work correctly with G.INP.

Standard User dparr59
(committed) Sat 23-May-15 15:37:42
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Used a program called DSLstats v5.4 software,on my Billion 8800NL stats below
says G.INP not enabled.

So Has as BT restarted to re enable G.INP

Stats recorded 23 May 2015 15:35:02

DSLAM/MSAN type: BDCM:0xa451 / v0xa451
Modem/router firmware: AnnexA version - A2pv6F039g1.d24m
DSL mode: VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime: 2 hours 35 min 21 sec
Resyncs: 0 (since 23 May 2015 15:29:58)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 22.1 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not monitored
Connection speed (kbps): 62190 14105
SNR margin (dB): 6.0 6.1
Power (dBm): 13.9 7.2
Interleave depth: 1 1
INP: 0 0
G.INP: Not enabled

RSCorr/RS (%): N/A 0.0065
RSUnCorr/RS (%): N/A 0.0000
ES/hour: 24.8 0

plusnet 63 Meg

Edited by dparr59 (Sat 23-May-15 15:41:35)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to