User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Molehusband
(member) Sat 23-May-15 22:47:26
Print Post

Plusnet ADSL with a VPN - To Pro or not to Pro?

[link to this post]

Recently signed up a family member to Plusnet ADSL and, while waiting for the connection to go live, discovered the "Pro Add On" that purports to upgrade to a "top-class prioritised connection" more suitable for VPN among other things.

Speeds are said to be poor in the area: around 2-4Mbps. The connection is primarily to provide access to a webcam that streams at 1Mbps.

As I'm planning to use a VPN, can anyone shed light on whether it's likely to be usable without this add on?

Xilo Talk & Surf [TTB LLU/MPF]
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 23-May-15 23:07:57
Print Post

Re: Plusnet ADSL with a VPN - To Pro or not to Pro?

[re: Molehusband] [link to this post]

The Pro addon is basically a legacy product for legacy mainstream packages that were (sometimes severely) rate-limited at various times of day. It is not supposed to be necessary with the latest packages.

It can be turned on and off at monthly intervals, so if you wish you can give it a try after the connection has been live for a while, and see if it makes any difference.

Oops! I see it does now say it can help VPNs a little. It seems there has been a policy change since the current products were introduced, as it was definitely publicised as being unnecessary on them.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User longedge
(member) Sun 24-May-15 08:39:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Still a good idea to try first and see how it goes I would think. If the potential problem is one of poor local conditions, then I wonder to what extent it would be of use anyway?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Sun 24-May-15 10:09:56
Print Post

I use VPN into work a lot, I occasionally saw issues with meetings when I was on ADSL at 1M, but I think issue may have been in the work's n/w - otherwise during office hours it all seemed as good as can be expected for the speed available.

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-May-15 15:51:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Molehusband:
As I'm planning to use a VPN, can anyone shed light on whether it's likely to be usable without this add on?

I VPN from my home to work a lot, and occasionally VPN into my home network from outside.

I've been on Plusnet FTTC since June 2014 and haven't had any problems - I don't have the Pro add on.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 product - Installed 2 June 14 - April Sync 57 / 11 with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Speedtest
  Print Thread

Jump to