User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-Jun-15 21:18:12
Print Post

38/20 dead?

[link to this post]

Has there been any announcement, or is this page just wrong? Click the "Show details" on the 38Mbps Unlimited.

I note also the in the Price List it says they are effective from 17 June 2015. I haven't yet looked into them in depth.

Edit - the "FTTC only" page also shows only 2Mbps upstream on the 38Mbps product.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 16-Jun-15 21:20:32)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Jun-15 21:30:29
Print Post

Re: 38/20 dead?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Looks like the TalkTalk range. I always thought the 38 / 2 service was a stupid option from BTwholesale / Openreach.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 product - Installed 2 June 14 - April Sync 57 / 11 with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Speedtest
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Jun-15 21:38:45
Print Post

If true, it is a bizarre step backwards after going from 40/10 to 40/20.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-Jun-15 21:49:50
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Not quite as bizarre as 40/20 in the first place smile. But not reverting to 40/10 is poor.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Tue 16-Jun-15 22:00:39
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

That may have been an option requested by TalkTalk, possibly to allow for a cheaper entry point as, presumably, they save a bit on backhaul. Openreach are under a duty to consider all ISP product requests equally on their commercial merits.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Jun-15 22:04:18
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheEulerID:
That may have been an option requested by TalkTalk, possibly to allow for a cheaper entry point as, presumably, they save a bit on backhaul. Openreach are under a duty to consider all ISP product requests equally on their commercial merits.

Interesting, hadn't realised they could have requested it. It does give a cheaper price point I guess. Many people upload a lot more than they realise.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 product - Installed 2 June 14 - April Sync 57 / 11 with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-Jun-15 22:52:34
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Looks like the TalkTalk range. I always thought the 38 / 2 service was a stupid option from BTwholesale / Openreach.
Didn't it exist before the 80(78)Mbps product existed? A simple option.

I know I was on 40/10 with IDNet, and when I moved to Plusnet only 40/2 was available from them.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 16-Jun-15 22:53:44)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jun-15 23:08:52
Print Post

It doesn't give details of the upload speed on the broadband only section
and they really need to stop misleading potential customers with incorrect info
example Will speeds go up and down?

Yes, fibre broadband uses the same technology (Dynamic Line Management) as standard broadband to give you the best possible service.

You'll probably see your speed vary over the first 10 days, as the broadband system runs tests to find the best combination of stability and speed for your service.

This can cause your speeds to go up and down. You may even get disconnected a few times. Don't worry, this doesn't mean there's a problem, so please bear with it.

If you have a reasonably good circuit from master socket to dslam in FTTC cab then your sync speed should not change, if your connection isn't stable DLM with clobber you usually after the first 48hrs , there is no 10 day period that is utter bs

And if speeds sync speeds fluctuate then that could well be a sign that there is a line fault, the circuit should not disconnect apart from dlm intervention or network level maintenance /firmware roll-outs

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 16-Jun-15 23:46:25)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-Jun-15 23:58:36
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Yes it does. Just as in the broadband+phone section - click on "Show package details" and it's at the top of the right-hand column.

Re the rest of your blurb, we all know that 10-day stuff is garbage. Even on ADSLx. But their suppliers are BT Wholesale, and as you know they say that. Plusnet therefore have to cover their back by stating the same.

You'll find all other BTW based ISPs do the same somewhere or other.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Jun-15 00:53:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by tommy45:
Yes it does. Just as in the broadband+phone section - click on "Show package details" and it's at the top of the right-hand column.

Re the rest of your blurb, we all know that 10-day stuff is garbage. Even on ADSLx. But their suppliers are BT Wholesale, and as you know they say that. Plusnet therefore have to cover their back by stating the same.

You'll find all other BTW based ISPs do the same somewhere or other.
wrong they all don't mislead the customer with this nonsense

Zen
even Sky don't say there is a 10 day period sky

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 17-Jun-15 01:01:58)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to