User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Wed 24-Jun-15 13:42:47
Print Post

Cabinet Capacity

[link to this post]

Hi
I've just ordered a house move with Plusnet. The new house is right next to the FTTC cabinet, however I can't order it because:

"FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Capacity review: Your area is fibre enabled. Extra capacity is under review to allow order placement."

Estimate fix date for this is the 15th Sept. How likely is this to slip and what is the resolution? another FTTC cab?

I assume if someone disconnected their service a port would become available? Are plusnet capable of checking for this?

Any replies are appreciated.

Regards
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 24-Jun-15 13:53:55
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Capacity

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by huwwatkins:
"FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Capacity review: Your area is fibre enabled. Extra capacity is under review to allow order placement."

Estimate fix date for this is the 15th Sept. How likely is this to slip and what is the resolution? another FTTC cab?

I assume if someone disconnected their service a port would become available? Are plusnet capable of checking for this?
That does sound like either extra cards inside the cabinet, though you would think that could happen earlier than September, or a second cabinet.

You are right though that as other people move out connections do become available. Usually snapped up with hours by the likes of the small resellers for their waiting customers.

I doubt if Plusnet provide such a service. Whether or not they do, I think you need to check using this first thing each morning and two or three times a day after, then get onto Plusnet PDQ if it shows as available.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Wed 24-Jun-15 13:55:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS

Thats the checker I pulled the info from. Is that updated 'live' when ports become available?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 24-Jun-15 14:04:24
Print Post

I've a feeling it is live, but not 100% sure. Let's say "live-ish" anyway.

I seem to remember posts a couple of years back where at the start of the day someone couldn't get it, and by the end their order had been placed and went through.

Say it starts showing live at 10:20. Two people jump, one at 10:23, one at 10:24, to different ISPs. Only one will get it. Could be either.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jun-15 14:19:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

BT's roadmap suggests they are implementing a feature called FTTC Waiters.

With that, they would accept an order like this, which then waits for capacity to become available.
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Thu 25-Jun-15 09:36:49
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Checked again this morning - its gone from Sept 15 to July 22nd! Must just be some line cards then as RobertoS suggested...
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Thu 25-Jun-15 09:53:47
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Waiters are due to come in during Sep (i.e. for orders place from then onwards).

On the cabs that are full, OR are pushing to clear the backlog. They have recently said this though:

For a small number of cabs, where we need to install a 2nd DSLAM, RFS dates are have been provisionally estimated for July 2016. These will be adjusted once delivery dates are confirmed

So dates need to be treated with caution at the moment. Check roadworks.org for planned works if a new cab is needed.
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Thu 25-Jun-15 11:33:49
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

No roadworks - so hopefully not a cab replacement.

This is the cab in question. Looks like a full size huawei to me. So possible 288 connections?

Cab
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Thu 25-Jun-15 11:58:44
Print Post

Your cabinet covers 616 properties (it's a Huawei 288).

I suspect it's a new cab. The cabinet has been in place since Jan 2012, so you would expect it to be fairly full already.

Interestingly Openreach didn't report it as full in their FTTC report from 18 Jun, although this is probably an oversight from them.
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Thu 25-Jun-15 13:09:17
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
Your cabinet covers 616 properties (it's a Huawei 288).

I suspect it's a new cab. The cabinet has been in place since Jan 2012, so you would expect it to be fairly full already.

Interestingly Openreach didn't report it as full in their FTTC report from 18 Jun, although this is probably an oversight from them.

Seems odd that they would move it forward from Sept to July if it was a new cab? I need to go and see if there is any works going on.

Out of interest - how did you find out how many properties is covers?

Edited by huwwatkins (Thu 25-Jun-15 13:10:52)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to